19

Edmund was not in the room. I was afraid to go out with these earrings in my hands. What if something similar happened like yesterday? My heart was beating loudly as more time passed in silence.

I should leave them here. I didn't want more trouble.

I looked on earrings for another moment. The flower on it looked so fragile and creamy white pearl with a hint of pink, reminded me so much of Edmund – his inherited eyes. These tiny things were even precious for him too, so why would he give them to me?

I walked up to his bed and placed the jewels on his snow-white covers.

"What are you doing?" Suddenly his voice scared me and I nearly jumped.

My hands trembled a little bit. This was the first time I had seen him after the incident and I didn't know what he was up to or how he felt or thought about me. Did Edmund still think I stole them? I was afraid to look at him, as my back was turned away.

"Thea!" he persisted.

"I...I didn't meant to take them.... I don't know how they ended up with me!" I started to panic, as all emotions felt yesterday almost came back up.

"How they ended up with you? This morning? I placed them there. Dummy!"

"Why!" I cried silently. I couldn't understand why Edmund did dit. "I didn't steal them, I didn't steal... Please, forgive me...."

"I...I know you didn't. ... I was in a bad mood at that time and the ruckus you both made angered me even more. I did not think straight... I should have asked first."

I picked back up both earrings from his bed and turned around to face him. Small remains of tears were glittering my eyes, but I tried to stop the remaining ones from escaping. Nervously I extended my hands with jewels in my palms in front of Edmund. His eyes watched me, almost boring into my soul and then he averted his gaze on his belongings. He watched them for some time and I started to wonder if he was here - his mind.

"I found them... under your bed.... and I wanted to bring these to you." My eyes landed on earrings too. 

I felt his hands touch mine and he slowly closed my palms with these precious things still on me.

"Keep it... safe...They are yours. And don't lose them!"

Did I hear him right? He must be insane if he thought I could own such expensive things. Seeing his stern face I decided not to question him more.

"...I will..." my voice was just above the whisper.

"Also.. get ready. We are going to town."

"Me too?"

"Did I say I am going? Of course, you are going too."

I took a last glance at earrings and then put them beside his bed on a table for later. First I had to get myself ready. I will have to ask for Fiona's help to do my hair. I was very bad at making them right and tidy. 

She had been helping me a lot and Fiona probably was the only one who was somewhat kind. Never in her presence, I felt judged. It was almost like she was my big sister if I could think about her that way.

I walked inside the bathroom and small rays of morning sun managed to cast a soft light on my face through tall narrow windows. I felt very uncomfortable every time I used his golden bathtub. I was allowed to do it, but it was still my master's personal room and I was just a slave. In someone's eyes, it would be outrageous to hear, that a slave was using the same room for her need as her owner. But for some unknown reason, I was allowed since the first day.  

There were many things I didn't understand about him. He was so different from anybody else I had met, so different from my previous owners.

I had to go and bring some buckets with water for me to bath and I should be quick. I didn't want Edmund to wait for me. 

***

Two black orbs were watching me silently. In comparison to me, Wiltshire's family's horses were huge. They frighten me a little bit, but I tried to remind myself, that these two in front of me were nothing like his own - Storm. They were calm and I should not feel any fear near them. 

Edmund had a grand event in town. He will be meeting important people and this will be my first time out of the house - back in place, where I was bought. 

I was nervous. I didn't remember much of it. I used to close off anything around me - sounds, people, places. I felt like nothing and I was scared to experience that feeling again. 

The coachman was in his position and I was anxiously waiting for my master while petting James's beautifully groomed horses.

Edmund came out dressed in a black jacket. The bottom of his sleeves was made of silky black material along with blue sapphire buttons, which accented his light scarf of the same color. My master looked very grown up and manly, just in the small boy's body. He had taken his time to prepare himself and I was not a part of it. It must be a very important meeting if he did not trust me enough to help him get ready.

I, on the other hand, wore the same dark blue outfit with golden buttons. My hand in the small pocket on the side was gently touching the earrings he gave me. I will not lose them and I shall always keep them close to me. I promised it to him. A part of me had a special attachment to them. These earrings were the most precious thing I had ever seen in my life... the beauty of them and the fact that they were a part of Edmund made them more valuable than anything else.

Edmund's father whispered something to him, which made a boy's face turn in a small scowl. 

"Are you sure you will be alright by yourself?" I heard him say in a grumpy voice.

"What I told you, dad? I can take care of myself."

I had seen many times, that his father was trying to get closer to his own son, but Edmund always managed to push him off, leaving no space for another attempt. I didn't understand, why he did that. Why he was so distant from his own parents? 

And this time it happened again. It hurt me in some way. Edmund should be happy, that he has both of them. I had never seen my parents - not mother nor father. All my life I had been alone and I would cherish every moment if only I could experience the feeling of a family just for a small amount of time.

"Get inside, Thea!"