Part title

"First we need to get rid of this clothing you have."

"No. It is mine."

I didn't want her to take it away. I didn't care so much for my outfit, but more about earrings hidden in my pocket. Martha might throw my dress out together with them. I don't know, what I will do, if the jewelry will get lost. A promise was given to Edmund, that I will take care of them and keep them safe. 

"Nothing belongs to you, understand? You are a slave. You probably whined this out of your master, didn't you?" Her face was just an inch from mine, as she bored in my eyes with anger. 

"Hey, you! What's your name?" Martha shouted out to one of the servants passing by.

"I am Elizabeth. May I help you with something?"

"Take this child and give her proper clothing. Something more fit to her..... status. Then bring her back to me." Martha ordered in hard, dry voice.

I felt so hesitant to go along with Elizabeth. I didn't knew her well, only on rare occasions I have seen this woman with Fiona or sometimes attending Edmund. 

She put her hands gently on my shoulders and took me away from this new, angry woman. 

"Please, don't hurt me." Few silent tears rolled over my cheeks. 

"I won't, Thea. Come. We don't want to get in more trouble."

I followed her to servant's quarters, all the way I cried and my heart hurt. Why Edmund went away? Since he is gone, nothing is going the same way it used to. There was always order around this house, or at least in my eyes, most of the time concerning me. Sometimes I messed up things or made him displeased, but he never acted unfair and he expected the same thing from others. Now it feels like my world will be crushing down. I miss him.

"Don't cry. I will find something nice for you to wear." Elizabeth hand glided softly over my hair. 

I have never seen this side of Elizabeth. I felt weary of her all the time, thinking she might view me the same way, as others working here. That jealousy coming from them, for no reason, I could not see the one. In her room I felt much calmer, than just minutes ago, but soon I will be faced with Martha again. 

Elizabeth pulled out an earthly brown dress from underneath her bed, which was placed in old rectangular bag. It looked nothing like a dress Edmund have given me. The fabric was rough and some threads were sticking out. It looked worn out. 

"This was mine, when I arrived at this household. It's been many years and I know it is not at it's best state, but for a moment I can't give you anything better. At least you won't have to walk around in potato bag. That's what I feel Martha wants." 

She started to unbutton the top slowly, while my hand was deep in a pocket holding earrings. 

What am I going to do with them?

"What do you have there?" 

I closed my fist tighter. What if Elizabeth takes them away?

"Show me, you don't have to be afraid." I slowly pulled out my hand and opened my palm, showing Edmund's jewels in their full beauty. 

"Where did you get these?" Her voice was very calm and gentle and I felt like I can trust her.

"Edmund gave to me. He said not to loose them." My heart squeezed in pain thinking of the future of his gift. 

"I see it might be a problem, if Martha discovers them. My dress doesn't have pockets, but I can make one, if you want."

I nodded. I could not think about them ever leaving my side.

"Give them to me. Come later tonight and I will make it for you, so you can keep them close, like before. Right now, Martha is waiting. It will take too much time." 

Hesitantly I gave them to her.

 Elizabeth helped me to dress up and guided me back to main house. My heart was picking up it's speed, thinking about new housemaid's unknown plans concerning my future.

"Just do, what she says. I don't want you to get in trouble. She is not like Adele. She is considered the best in her ways to get the things done without objection. I believe her ways are not the nicest ones......Behave! OK!"

...

"Oh. You are back. Good. Time for work, slave." There was pause and then she turned to Elizabeth. "Didn't you have something more fitting for her? A slave robe?"

"Wiltshires have never owned a slave, so nothing of that sort is available, Mrs."

"Fine. It will do for now."

Elizabeth left me and I watched her leave with worry in my eyes. I didn't want to be left alone.

"Your task for today will be filling water in every place of this house. Boil it for baths, fill them, empty them. Water plants and help the maids with washing." Her chin was raised high up, like she was a boss of this house.

I wanted to protest and tell her one more time about my position in this house, but then remembered Elizabeth's words. Maybe if I play nice and obey her, she will forget about me and leave me be. 

From the tasks she have given, I won't have much time for studies or hardly a time to clean his room. Edmund told me to read books every day. What is going to happen? Will I have time for it all? So many rooms in this house, baths and water storing places.... I feel like the old life is slowly coming back to me, a life I have almost forgotten.

***

The end of the day was coming. My stomach rumbled and my limbs hurt of all the hard work I did today. I hardly had a time to take a rest, as Martha was watching me almost on every step. Seemed like she is enjoying the look of a small girl working and doing tasks, which are over her level of capability. I could do few rounds of carrying buckets, but doing it all day have really exhausted me. Luckily she have gone for a rest to her own room provided for her by owners and I have a space to breath and relax on my own. 

Sky is getting dark and I suddenly remember about earrings I left in Elizabeth's care. I rush to servants rooms in hopes to retrieve Edmund's gift.

Just before entering the long corridor lined with many doors I remember about my daily studies. I was so busy, I even forgot about reading something at all. I will have to go and take a book right after I see Elizabeth.

 I feel so guilty, that I have forgotten about my tasks given by my Master. No job is more important than those given by him. 

After all he is a true Master of this house.