30

I watched my fingers. They were scratched with red, nasty cuts and felt so sore to even slightest touch. I couldn't finish pot cleaning in time. Only after midnight I got my rest. Not in my usual sleeping spot, though. Door have been locked and I could not figure out were to lay down until next morning. I went back to servants wing and curled myself up near a stove for warmer night. 

The first sound in the morning was a heavy screeching from wooden door at the entry of servants kitchen. Time for work again, I thought and tried to collect myself for another day of Martha's torture. 

"Thea? What are.... why are you here?" Familiar voice of Fiona got me up.

"Martha have locked Edmund's room." I said with bit of sadness in my voice.

"You could have come to me and James. Why didn't you?"

"I didn't want to disturb you. It was very late and ...."

"Owwh, Thea." Fiona rubbed my back, which gave a comforting feeling to my sore body. "I have good news. Nicolas said he will help us to write a letter to Edmund. We should go and see him soon, before Martha gets to us and take our time away."

I felt so happy. At least we will be able to contact my master and tell, what is happening here. He would be able to tell Martha about his orders and state of me here. I flashed a weak smile to Fiona, as a sign of gratitude.

"Have some breakfast and lets go. Nicolas is busy man and later he might not have time for us."

***

As we arrived at Nicolas room, he was already up, fixing up his attire for today's work in a mirror. 

He have always looked like a noble to me in his stance and how he carries himself. Only his butler's clothing suggested his true occupation. I have always felt intimidated by his looks. He is the only one in this house with such skin tone and I have never met anyone in my life with an appearance like his. Nicolas is always so well mannered, big and serious looking. I have never seen him cracking a smile - not at times I have been near. His physique suggests, that he have been doing some heavy work, now or at his earlier years, or maybe he just takes  good care of his body.

"You both are very early. Is it SO important?" He glanced at us through a corner of his eye, while fixing his already perfect looking collar of his snow white shirt.

"It is, Nicolas. It is for Thea. Martha have been treating her unfairly, she does not listen, what I say about her status in this house. You know how demanding is our Master. He needs to know, that his orders are being ignored." Fiona sounded desperate, more than I actually was. 

"Fine then. What it is you want to write?"

For some time they were talking in quiet voices, Fiona's body bent down over a table, as she paid close attention to Nicola's given favor. His own form hunched over too. I was left out, but I am sure she knows what to write and what to say to get the points across. 

I took my time to observe butler's room. It was clean and tidy and for my surprise he owned ....

"Fiona! Fiona!" A voice of Martha took me out of admiration. 

My heart instantly chocked of knowing she is here.

"This is bad. Can you take care of Thea, Nicolas? I will distract her. She must not know, what we are up to."

"OK. Go then." Butler's low voice rumbled in a tiny room, I almost felt it with my body.

"There you are. Have you seen that....slave girl?" Martha's voice was muffled behind a door. 

"No. Why are you asking me, Mrs?" Fiona responded innocently.

"I just wondered.... You seem to be around her a lot."

There was a pause between them and for a second I thought maybe they both have left, but I didn't hear footsteps that suggested it.

"As I said, I have not seen her today."

"Fine. Come with me. I need your assistance in a kitchen."

Then finally I heard them leaving. I could breath again.

"You look spooked." Nicolas words made me snap out of my slightly panicked state. Don't worry, she will not come back. Martha has no business with me and she can't order me around." He made a small smile, which gave me a glimpse of his snow white teeth, so contrasting against his dark brown skin.

I let myself calm down. Meanwhile Nicolas folded a letter and put it in envelope. I on other hand continued to awe at his book collection at shelves stacked up on a wall. These books didn't look so expensive or extravagant like those in  Edmund's library, but I didn't expect a servant to own this much. What are they about? Why Nicolas owns so many?

"What are they about?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Your books?"

"Ah.... Those.... . Most of them are about social etiquette, rules also things of how to manage household and staff members."

" The S..ocial....Mir .... mirror..." I read a title on one of the covers quietly."

"Ohh....you are a smart girl. I didn't know you could read so well!"

I smiled shyly. "Edm..... I mean.. Master taught me."

"Hm! So generous of him." Nicolas took a book in his hands and watched it for a moment and at the same time stroking an imprinted emblem on the cover. "This one is old. Sir Wiltshire gave it to me, when I arrived here. Very helpful... Take. You should read it."

He presented a book to me. I took it feeling very unsure. 

"Are you sure?"

"Hundred percent. You should always keep broadening your knowledge. It is yours now, a present from me."

I smiled at him with joy filling my heart. I have never received a present in my life.

 Edmund might have given things to me, but he never specified their meaning. This was something new to me and exciting.

 I could not wait to read it.