52

I tried so hard to stay calm, when he finally let me go. I wanted to cry too, but hold back all the feelings. I didn't know, who this person is anymore. 

"Now, clean it up!" 

I knew better to obey. Everybody in the house talked, that he has become unpredictable, but I never thought, that to this extent. What made him turn this way? What Edmund is going through? I want to know. But how can I know, if I am too afraid to ask?

I got down to pick up the broken pieces. Delicate cup was so thin and fragile, that a person with stronger grasp could break it, while drinking. Tea from it spilled over the floor. I had nothing to clean it up right now. I hated to think, that I will need to return.

Edmund watched me from above. I did not dare to look up, it would make me feel smaller and more insignificant, that I already was. He moved around a table in slow, calculating steps. In the corner of my eye, I saw him drag his fingers around a rim of a coffee table, inspecting ornamented tea set. He said in a quiet voice, almost, as if he was talking to himself.

"One night......"

In front of my face another one fell down and shattered in to pieces.

"Two nights..."

Then came another one. Each of his word made me shudder in fear. I could not hold my tears anymore. 

"Three..... four......"

Cups and saucers kept falling in front of me. I knew, what he meant, now I had a clear understanding, of what kind of payment he was thinking about.

"Stop....." I cried. 

".....five...."

"Please stop.... doing this..."

"I can ask to bring another set."

"...STOP!"

I looked at all the pieces of porcelain scattered around me through my tear clouded eyes. How many were there, I couldn't tell anymore, only the numbers Edmund said, stayed embedded in my mind. Five nights..... He wants me for five nights..... I refuse to believe, that he would do such thing to me. He will not..... Edmund will not take me..... My Master is not that kind of man.

Shuffling of feet brought my attention to a man on top of the stairs. He was tall, with black attire and dark hair.

"Dad? Why are you here so early?"

Edmund sounded little bit surprised.

I recognized him too. Edmund's father haven't been in this household for very long time. What brought him here all of a sudden? 

Edmund has left my form and walked up to his dad. He focused his gaze directly at his old man, almost to a challenging manner. They both were the same height now, with well combed dark hair and even their bodies hold the same mass and structure. There was no doubt, that there stands father and son. It would be clear in a pitch black night. 

"I came early to inform you, that your mother will come soon to join us for family dinner next week."

"You have to be joking." Edmund nearly growled.

"Don't get so upset, Edmund. She wishes to spend some time with you. I could say the same. As you will form your new family, we...... should do something about ours too..... make it better between us, between you and me..."

"I don't agree with you. There is nothing we can change between us, between you and me and between her."

"But we have gone so far. Don't you see, we have become much closer, than we used to be?"

"You know, dad? You can't fix your mistakes so easily. It will never happen, no matter have many years go by."

"I can try..."

"The only way you could make a change, if you had never married her." Edmund stabbed his finger in his father's chest.

"Do you understand, what you are talking about? You wouldn't be here in this world, if I wouldn't have married her."

"I understand it very well, father. That's my point and your biggest mistake, which you will never be able to fix, no matter how hard you try."

"Edmund, just give her a chance."

"No. I don't want to see her in this house. I have enough with one of her kind."

"Do what you do, but I advise you to think it over."

"No."

They both looked like two roosters fighting over their family issues. Edmund looked especially pissed off and I started to fear, that all his anger will come over me. His father went away, clearly displeased with an outcome. My Master turned back and sat in his chair. I have picked up the shards as much as I could and was ready to leave. 

"You better come back. You haven't finished cleaning up your mess." 

Edmund got hold of my arm and almost everything fell down again. I was sure, that he did all of this on purpose.