Chapter 52: The Spectrum

Start from the beginning

Shana made a face.

"Not like that though," Isaac told her. "See, I said it was difficult to explain it. I guess I'm saying I admire some aspects of her. My sexual orientation aside, I really like something about her... femininity I guess. But no, despite my atrocious Starstruck interview, I do not wish I was a girl."

Shana shrugged. "That's not so hard to understand. You're a guy. A girly guy. Which is fine. Masculinity is toxic and overrated anyway."

"Well," Rylan said, leaning his head from one side to the other as though only half-agreeing.

"But that's the thing," Isaac said. "I don't think girly guy describes it either. Again, I'm not saying I want to have a sex change. I mean, more power to women who transitioned and all but... I'm fine with my body as it is. It's just... There's something about women that just..."

"Maybe you're attracted to Kayli," Rylan suggested. "That wouldn't make you any less gay, right? I mean, I think Kayli's really attractive."

"No," Isaac scoffed immediately. "I've never found myself attracted to a woman. Ever. You guys aren't getting it."

Shana stared at Rylan for a second then looked back at Isaac and murmured, "Oh..."

"What?" asked Isaac.

"Okay," she nodded. "Clear your schedules tomorrow. You're both coming over. I think I know what you need."

***

"Thanks for meeting with me," Marley said as Adrian sat down at her table at The Lima Bean, where she was already waiting with his order ready. "I really wanted us to talk given how much happened over the weekend."

Adrian was having trouble looking her in the eyes. All weekend, Marley's name had been popping out in articles, on TV, everywhere online. The world was dragging her into John's drama whether she liked it or not. And after attending his release party, there was more reason for her and Adrian's pictures to be spread across the web.

"I didn't want to leave you hanging," Adrian sighed. "I understand as bad as it is for me... For you it's probably a hundred times worse."

"Yes," she agreed. "Thank you for that. I just don't want what's happening out there to interfere with us."

"Neither do I," Adrian shrugged. "But was is there to do?"

"Ignore it?" she suggested hopefully. "I'm staying off social media. And I don't take calls from unknown numbers."

Adrian took a sip of his coffee and then set it down. "Okay," he said, still seeming unsure. "If you want to just pretend it's not happening until it blows over... That's fine by me."

"Thank you," she nodded. "And it will blow over, Adrian. I promise it will."

"Okay," he said again. "If you say so. I wish I could stay longer but I've got to go to work."

"Oh, of course," she said. "And I have to go pick up Ben and Kai anyway so..."

"Okay then," he said, standing up. As she did, too, she was momentarily blinded by a bright light. She turned to see that there was a man photographing them right outside and that another was rushing across the street, also holding a camera.

Turning her face she said, "Oh no."

Adrian turned away, too, and muttered, "Well, this is just great. Come on. I'll walk you to your car and keep those vultures away."

Marley nodded, leaving her cup behind and letting him shield her on their way out of the building. Everyone inside was watching them and people outside were now staring, too, especially as the paparazzi started shouting comments and questions at them.