35: Still Strangers?

LEYLA

LEYLA

We sat down while looking at the campfire. It has been hours since the whole thing that happened a while a while ago. We are on our way home or at least that's what we think. We decided to go to my house but first we must get out of this forest. It's easy to get lost in here.

I glanced at Evan who has a blue blanket wrapped around him like a burrito. My stomach rumbled. Burrito. Why did I think of that? Now, I'm hungry. Evan hid his....wings under the blanket as if it was a monstrosity. I wonder what kind of creature he is. He seems like a werewolf of some kind but in all seriousness, what is he?

Evan avoided my glance. Every since he woke up from that incident, he didn't want to talk to me or even face me. Before we left the cabin, I had to take a quick shower. It was a good thing that there was running water. Unfortunately, I still have to deal with a lot of things. Like my clothes which are still bloody on the bottom. I have no time to be embarrassed. It's better than being naked.

"So....,"I started, trying to break the awkward silence. He didn't look up. He didn't react. He kept looking at the fire. I frowned and sighed in defeat. He still doesn't want to talk to me. I don't know if he hates me or not but he better have some trust on me after what I did a while ago. I heard wince in pain as he moved.

I remembered his shock and frightened expression when he woke up a while ago. He looked at his wings like it was a mistake. I didn't know what was going through his mind but I know for sure that he never expected this to happen.

"You've been quiet lately. I don't want to annoy you or anything but this whole thing is so confusing to me. I don't know a thing about what happened. Nobody would explain it briefly to me." He remained still before looking at me with a plain expression on his face.

"I don't always have the answers that you're looking for. I only know what I know and I don't think it has anything to do with what you want to know. Quit ruining the silence. I'm trying to think," he said before looking away.

"Sorry. I was just so puzzled with everything. It all seems so surreal for me. Now that I think about it, I wonder what happened to my restaurant and my father's business in the city. I've been gone for too long. I wonder who's handling it at the moment," I blurted out. It feels like I'm talking to myself but I cannot blame him. I'm just a stranger.

He let out a chuckle as if not believing what I said. "You own a restaurant? Didn't think that you'd be that kind of person. You seem more like lazy bum to me." What? I glanced at him and gave him a what-the-f look.

"Oh, I'm sorry for hurting your feelings but you know what they say...the truth hurts,"he said as I gave him an annoyed look. He noticed the expression on my face and the corners of his lips curved into a small smile. I'm not lazy. "I guess I'm wrong then. Maybe you're not lazy in terms of work but you're lazy at some point. Lazy to do any effort for love? Who knows?"