17: The King's Downfall

CYAN

CYAN

As I ate my breakfast, I glanced at my father's seat on the dining table. Empty. He wasn't there. Maybe he overslept. As I chewed my food, I can't help but feel paranoid. I sensed that something bad has happened. I looked at my mother who was busy staring at her reflection through the mirror while eating. She forgot to greet me good morning. My eyes scanned throughout the dining room. Evan is still not here. And also Thanatos.

I sighed loudly, catching my mom's attention. "What's the matter?" I heard her ask. I remained quiet. She groaned in irritation and said, "Must you be so glum when today is your father's birthday?" Oh. Right. Today is dad's birthday. I nodded my head and said, "Why isn't he here then? Where's Evan? Thanatos?"

"I guess I left him hanging there. No worries. He's still there safe and sound," she said before returning her attention towards the mirror. I immediately stopped eating when she didn't mention Thanatos or Evan.

I looked at my mother who was busy admiring herself. I don't think she cares. I stood up from my seat and said, "I'm full. I don't want to each anymore."

I felt without a single word. She didn't seem bothered at all. I went upstairs to my parents' chamber. I knocked on the door and said, "Happy birthday dad!" No answer.

I knocked on the door again while saying, "Dad, wake up!" The only reply I got was silence. I grabbed the doorknob and twisted it open. As soon as I opened the door, I smelled a sickening odor. It smells like metal. Iron.

I glanced around the room to find the bed empty. It was neatly done already. I think he's already awake. I heard the water running down the floor from the bathroom. I went towards the bathroom and knocked on the door. "Dad?" Again, no answer.

I grabbed the doorknob and took it open. It clicked open. He must have forgotten to lock it. As soon as I looked up, my eyes widened in shock. The bathroom walls were covered in what seemed to be red paint. But I changed my mind when I sat him hanging on a rope. Blood. It wasn't paint.

The mirror has words written on it. Checkmate. That's what it says. It was written using blood. The walls were the same. Checkmate. Checkmate? I looked at my father whose neck with wrapped by a rope making him hang. His feet were above the floor. Blood was dripping from his hands.

His eyes were wide open as if he was in shock. My face turned white once I saw his chest. His heart was removed form his chest.Blood was dripping from his chest. I looked up and stared at him. I stood frozen. I was speechless. Helpless. Hopeless. Useless. I backed away as I stared right at his eyes. Lifeless. Dead.

I was trembling in shock. I didn't know how to react. I don't understand. This is....just a dream- a nightmare. "D-Dad?" I called out to him, not believing that he was gone. I walked towards him and grabbed his shirt and started pulling it.