31: The Breaking Point

LEYLA

LEYLA

"No," Evan answered. That one word changed the atmosphere in the cabin. Morte and Muerte sat on the bed with mixed emotions. Muerte seemed to be pissed of, impatient with the whole situation. Why are they so eager for us to join them? Perhaps, they're suspecting me of knowing Deatina.

She's my friend but I don't exactly know of her current whereabouts and she never mentioned that she had siblings. I don't exactly know her that much. A memory rushed into my mind. I remembered that time when she called me. It was so odd of her to accuse me of stealing something.

Muerte started laughing out of nowhere, startling us. He was laughing like a maniac. Morte's smile turned into confusion as he glanced at his brother. "Eh? Muerte?" Muerte continued laughing but it wasn't like Morte's. It was different. I felt a shiver run down my spine as his laugh penetrated the awkward silence. Those two brothers are very peculiar in a bad way.

They were so identical that they seem like copies of one another except for the quiet nature of Muerte.  Even their names seems the same. They were both wearing black cloaks giving them a mysterious vibe. The silver markings on their left cheek can't even help to tell them apart.

Muerte immediately stopped laughing hysterically as soon as he noticed our gaze. He returned to his quiet self like nothing happened. They're both crazy. It must run in the family. Even Deatina seems so weird. The way she acts. The way she laughs like there's no tomorrow. I've witnessed it and it gave me nightmares.

Then, there was an awkward silence.We looked at each other as if waiting for one to speak. I felt my eyelids crashing down but I stopped myself from falling asleep. I was tired. So tired that I just want to sleep. What time is it? I glanced at the window and noticed that it was still dark outside. I can't help but yawn, causing them to snap their attention towards me. "Tsk. Humans."

I glanced at the twins, not knowing which one of them said that. They glared at me with extreme hatred. It seems like they despise humans. I didn't even do anything. Calm down. Jeez. Evan stayed silent and remained glaring at the two. What is this? A staring contest? Let me rephrase that. A glaring contest? I just want to sleep.

I waited for someone to break the silence. Morte was glancing at his brother as if waiting for him to do anything. Evan groaned in irritation as he tapped his fingers on the floor. The twins stayed silent and as every minute passes by, Evan grew impatient. He was scanning the while room, trying to distract himself.

His lips twitched as if he wanted to scream his frustration. I heard a chuckle coming from Morte. A smirk appeared on his face as if he was watching some sort of entertainment in front of him. Evan's hands clenched and unclenched as he tried to control his temper. He was getting impatient as each time passes by. It feels like his face is going to blow at any second.