9: Sinful Angels

EVAN

EVAN

Do people deserve second chances? Do they? Do people who commit murder deserve a second chance? Do they? Or is that too kind of us to do so? Are we that forgiving that we think of criminals as innocent people? What about their victims? What about them? Do they not deserve justice? Are they even considered a victim to their eyes?

Has the world went backwards that almost everyone else thinks everybody who sinned is good? Maybe, it does make sense but the very fact that the victims of those who sinned received nothing but discrimination from others.

Everyone has rights and that's a fact but they're people who abuse it to the extent that they're hurting others. In this time, we have a lot of freedom. Freedom to speak. Freedom to do what we want but we tend to abuse it because we think of ourselves. Our selfishness gets in the way of everything.

They are people who care but they don't anything because of people who do not care. People only do things when they get something in return. No matter what it is, as long as we get something in return, we do it.

I stared at what is happening right in front of me. Everybody cheered in joy as the criminal gained sympathy and was released from imprisonment. Askel, the criminal was a well known warlock who used magic for his own gain. He cursed people and made them do whatever he wanted. He was also a murderer. A killer. He never cared for others and probably never will.

People here think that he deserves a second chance to change. I think that's too much. What happened to his victims? They died but not in peace. The victims' families have no say on the matter of his release. They have no say because they're not allowed to speak. My father thinks that he did the right thing but I knew better.

I glared at Askel who paraded the streets, rejoicing. The smile of his face angered me even more. He doesn't deserve all of this. The feasts. The banquets. Those things that the town gave him. They showed him kindness when he shows the opposite.

I sighed and continued watching the streets from the balcony of my room. I hate this place. I might not admit it to my family but I despise everything that exists here. I'm not a saint to be praised. I'm sinful but people like Askel are a lot more sinful than others.

I watched him walk around with a big smile on his face. Everyone cheered and interacted with him as if he was a person to be admired. What is to be admired about him? His bad deeds? His killings? Or the fact that he was released from prison? It seems as though people here are gaining a lot of freedom.

I looked up at the sky and gazed at the clouds. Why is it that true justice no longer exists? Or maybe it's just me. I suddenly remembered another criminal who was sentenced for life imprisonment due to selling and giving away these strange pills that makes you hallucinate or act peculiar.