38

Selena's POV:

Selena's POV:

I cried for four hours. Four long, terrifyingly painful, deceptive, heartbreaking hours. Ironic, huh? You seeing the connection here? Four years, four hours? Sometimes I really feel like fate is messing with me here. Like literally, I'll find Fate and bitch slap them. Happy now? I hate it. I hate this feeling; the hurt, the lies, the way my insides seem to be beating each other up. I was pathetic earlier. I still feel pathetic now. Like, all the things going through my head were very, very different. The anger at him for cheating on me but at the same time, I was upset. Was I of so little worth that he felt the need to cheat on me? It didn't matter though. My friends were insisting that I go to school. I groaned as we pulled over at the school gate. Today was officially going to be hell. "It'll be okay." Marie attempted to soothe. "We'll be there for you." I shrugged, not wanting to talk about it and she gave up trying. I walked into the school and it seemed like everyone knew what was going on. I heard whispers as I passed by and had a few malicious looks from certain people. Probably Justin's ex-lovers. It felt weird; not having him greet me at my locker and crack some sort of cheesy line or sexual innuendo. Lord help me. I loved his innuendoes too. I get that I should be moving on but I can't help it. I'm not someone who could bounce back from something so big. I loved him. I still love him. But right now, that really wasn't good enough. And no, don't have some sort of crazy revenge plan. I don't think that it's worth it. And my heart's too broken to take anything more. I'll just have to deal with it. I was halfway across the hallway and on the way to Mr Trents class before I was halted. By someone I really, really, didn't want to see. "Look who it is." Melissa sneered. "The little bitch who's boyfriend cheated on her." she said. "Look who it is." I mimicked. "The slut who'll fuck anything on legs. You're too wrapped up in your own little world to think about the fact that you were cheating too." I shot back. There was an outbreak of 'OH!' from a crowd that I didn't even realise had formed around us. "You don't have to be so bitter, Selena." Melissa smirked. "It's not my fault that you're so fucking boring that your boyfriend couldn't hang around you for more than two weeks." she said. "You're a bitch." I pressed my finger on her shoulder, prodding it as hard as I could. "A manipulative, cunning little bitch." I said. "You say it like it's a bad thing." Melissa smirked and I had the urge to punch her plastic face. "You cheated on your boyfriend." I cried. "How could you do that?" Melissa shrugged. "It's not like I was in love with him or anything." she said. "You what?" Ryan stepped out from the crowd. I hadn't seen in him so long and I wasn't really his best friend at the moment either but the disappearance of happiness in his previously smiling face just seemed wrong. His expression was pale; haunted even. I knew he was struggling with his emotions and he wasn't as brave as he seemed to be. "Are you fucking serious?" Melissa barely batted an eyelash. "It's not a big deal." she said. "Not a big deal?" Ryan roared. "You cheat on me, convince me that my best friend is a liar, break her heart and that's all you can fucking say?" he screamed. "Stop being such a baby, Ryan." Melissa snapped. "It's not such a big deal." she added. "The hell, it is." Ryan snarled and came closer to me, putting a protective arm around me. "I'm fucking done with you." he said. He pulled me away and through the crowd. I was feeling so numb, I didn't even say anything. Didn't even protest. "Fine." Melissa spat. "Walk away like a coward with the suicidal bitch." she said. The whole crowd quietened as I stopped walking. She knows. "You know what?" I turned around, a grim smile on my lips. "You are the most vile, deceiving, disgusting human being I have ever met in my whole life. And you should just stay away because no one wants you here." I said. "What do you know?" Melissa taunted. "Huh, Suicidal?" she said. "Sel?" Ryan whispered. "What is she talking about?" he asked. I stared at the people around me, at Melissa, at Ryan. There was no hiding anything anymore. She knew; she'd tell them soon enough. I knew she would. But if anyone was telling anyone anything, it would be me. "I was suicidal." my voice came out steadier than I had expected to be. "I almost killed myself." I said. Gasps echoed around the room and I could hear my heart beating louder than I had ever felt it before. This was the moment I never wanted to come. "Because she-" I looked Melissa straight in the eye. "Was a fucking bully, still is." Melissa scoffed. I moved closer, my head held up high. This was one battle the she would not win. "You're proud of yourself aren't you? For driving someone to kill themselves. It's a nice feeling for you, the power. But you know what? You're pathetic." I said. "Because you choose to be a coward?" Melissa hissed. "That's not my fucking fault." she said. "No it isn't." my calmness seemed to surprise everyone. "That was my problem; letting myself care. But every war has a trigger, and you were this one." I said. "Don't put you're weakness on me." Melissa snarled. "You and your stupid friend Nicole were always getting in the way. Good thing I ended that friendship." I tensed. "What the hell do you mean?" Melissa smirked. "You don't really think she randomly stopped texting did you? So sad, Selena." she snarled. "That was you?" Nicole seemed to appear out of nowhere. "You're the one who stole my phone?" said Nicole. "Got a problem?" Melissa taunted. "Just go keep your fucking thoughts to yourself." she said. "I don't think I will." Nicole walked to stand by my side. "You did something wrong, and you're going to pay for it." she said. "I don't think so." Melissa glanced at her nails. Nicole seemed to grow taller but I decided that it was best she not get into any trouble. "You're the only coward here." I stated, moving closer. "Because you're pathetic. You're mean and deceiving and an all-in-all coward and no one is ever going to want anything to do with you." Melissa glared at me. And then she slapped me. Full force on my left cheek. My head very near turned sideways and I began to glower. How dare she? I didn't have a lid for my temper anymore. I lost it. I threw a punch straight at her nose, knocking her backwards onto the floor. With a loud screechy she glared at me and began yelling at the top of her lungs. I glanced at my bruised hand. Finally, I've been wanting to do that for awhile. There was an outbreak of shouting and screaming but I was oblivious to the chaos around me. I looked up and caught a pair of eyes on me. And just like the other night, I walked away.
-
"I can't believe you hit her!" Marie exclaimed. "Why didn't you wait till I got there?" I laughed. "Sorry Marie, it had to be done and I wasn't prepared to wait any longer." I said. "Good thing too." Renee murmured. "Someone needed to show the school that the two-faced bitch had a nose job." I stifled a snicker and pulled the bandage tighter around my hand. For once, could someone just punch someone else without getting hurt? A throat was cleared at the doorway of my room and I looked up to see someone I was really not expecting. "Nicole?" I asked in disbelief. The girl in question tucked her blonde tresses behind her ears and bit her lip. "Hey." she greeted. "Hi." I returned. "What are you doing here?" Nicole gave a watery chuckle. "You never were one to beat around the bush. Could I please talk to you?" she said. "Why?" Renee questioned suspiciously. "I really need to talk to her." Nicole pleaded. "It's important, please." I glanced at my friends who were wearing curious expressions. They shrugged and nodded as if to say 'go ahead'. I followed Nicole out of my bedroom and downstairs. "Who let you in?" I inquired. "Your Mum." Nicole replied. "She hasn't changed a bit." she said. "I bet she was was surprised." I mumbled. "She sure was." Nicole responded. "She couldn't believe I remembered where the house was." she added. "How did you remember?" I asked. Nicole smiled tentatively. "You were my best friend Selena. There was no way I'd forget." I cleared my throat, feeling slightly awkward. "Right. So what did you want to talk about?" I asked. "I wanted to apologise." Nicole said quietly. "I was wrong to jump to conclusions when I did and if I had known that you- that you- well you know, I never would have pulled away from our friendship." she said. "Thank you." I murmured. "For forgiving me for what I did. I'm sorry too." Nicole smiled and she didn't look like Crosswell's head cheerleader anymore. She looked like Nicole Sanders.. my once best friend. "Friends?" I nodded. "Friends." I said. Nicole let out a breath of relief. "Well, I guess I'll just be going now." she said. "Wait." I stopped her. "Would you like to stay for a while?" Nicole's eyes brightened. "Are you sure?" she asked. "Absolutely." I answered. We walked back upstairs and I felt a guilty part of me vanish because she'd finally forgiven me and I had forgiven her. Nicole and I had known each other basically our whole lives so when we stopped being friends, it was like losing a sister. There's another time where I was glad to have Renee and Marie. We reached my room and thrust open the door which my two best friends were glaring at, as if expecting us. "You have so much explaining to do." they said.
-
"She has a what?" Renee's eyes were the widest I'd ever seen them. Nicole nodded. "A nose job. Trust me I was there." Both my other friends started guffawing and a few chuckles escaped my own lips. "Why were you watching her get her nose done?" I asked incredulously. "Did she ask you to come or something?" I ask. "Of course not." Nicole scoffed. "I simply agreed to help spy on her." I broke into fits of laughter. "It's what she got for forcing me." Nicole added. "Forcing you to do what?" Marie questioned. "Go after Justin." The words slipped out of her mouth and I instantly sobered up. Nicole bit her lip and cast me an apologetic look. I felt the tears well up in my eyes at the thought of him and cursed myself for letting him affect me so much. "Why would she ask you to do that?" I asked quietly. "She wanted him for herself." Nicole replied gently. "I never really liked him, you were right. But she wanted him so she made me do it." I listened, staying quiet, and trying to ease the pain in my heart but memories came flooding back. I zoned out completely as Marie began to talk again. I saw her lips moving but I was hearing nothing really. "How about it?" Nicole poked my shoulder. "What?" I snapped out of my daze. "Party tonight?" Renee repeated. "At Jason's." I shook my head. "I really don't feel like it." Marie sighed and patted my shoulder. "You can't shut yourself away from the fun parts of life because of him. It's not worth it." she said. I bit back the urge to tell her that it was and that if it was Dylan, she would understand. But it wasn't, so she didn't. I sound like a brat. "I could make you look so hot." Nicole's eyes sparkled. "He'll feel sorry in the end." I shook my head. "That's not necessary." I denied. "Maybe not." Nicole shrugged. "But I'm going to do it anyway." she said.
-
"I'm not so sure about this." I tugged at my dress, trying to make it miraculously longer than it was. "C'mon." Nicole pulled me by the arm into the chaotic mess. Renee and Marie had left after I made them because they wanted to stay but they were going to be late. I, on the other hand, watched a very interesting show of Good cop, Bad cop, courtesy of Nicole. "Relax." She coaxed. "Tonight is your night to forget. Go have fun, have a beer or two." she said. "I don't drink." I stated. "Alright then." Nicole dismissed. "Go out and dance or something." I shrugged and didn't make an effort to move from where I was standing. Nicole let out a sigh of frustration and opened her mouth to say something when Jason and Renee walked over to us. "Sel." Jason greeted. "How are you?" he asked. "Not feeling so hot." I admitted. Jason ran a hand through his hair. "He's not feeling too good either, you know. He's hurting just as much as you." he said. I knew who he was talking about and cast my gaze to the floor. I wasn't ready to talk about it just yet. Jason sighed. "I tried but hey, we're at a party, you should be enjoying yourself." he said. I smiled weakly. "I'll try." I said. He looked hesitant but nodded and allowed himself to walk away with my best friend since both of them knew that I was not in the mood. I collapsed on the nearest seat and picked up a cup of punch. This was going to be a long party.

Justin's POV:
I didn't even know what I was doing here. I sure as hell didn't want to be here. This didn't seem like the best place to be. But, then again, my friends didn't really give me much of a choice. I sighed and walked towards the bar. Maybe drinking would get my mind of what happened. I reached the counter and ordered myself a beer beforehand. I noticed a short brunette a few stools away, looking slightly dazed and with a cup in her hand. No way. I hesitantly walked up to her. She was alone and didn't seem in the right state of mind. Whatever happened Saturday, I still cared about her. Those feelings were too strong to fade away. "Sel?" I tapped on her shoulder. She swung around at the sound of her name and my breath caught in my lungs. She looked tired, exhausted even, but she was still the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. "Who are you?" she squinted, wrinkling up her nose and I resisted the urge to kiss her right then and there. She was clearly intoxicated and I wasn't sure exactly how to handle the situation. "Were you drinking?" I asked stupidly. "No." her eyebrows furrowed. "I only had the punch." I took the punch out of her hands and sniffed at it. The smell drifted up into my nostrils and yes, it had been spiked. I glanced at her. She must have really been upset not to notice. "Hey." she protested. "Give me back my punch!" I snatched it away. "I think you've had enough." I said. She pouted but didn't argue any further as she slumped back in her chair. "You never answered my question. Who are you?" I ran a hand through my hair. "Who do you think I am?" she groaned loudly. "Don't mess with me, okay? I'm not feeling so good right now." she said. "I'm a-" I paused for a moment. "I'm a friend." I decided to say. "Oh." she said then giggled suddenly. "You look kind of like my boyfriend, you know?" My chest tightened in pain. "Yeah?" I say. "Yeah." she nodded. "Well my ex." I winced at the word and my heart seemed to beat a thousand times faster. It was hurting too much. "He was so sweet." she said blissfully. "So amazing. It always felt like I was in heaven was with him, you know? He was like everything to me." she said. My heart lifted at her confessions. God knows, I felt the same way. "Turned out he didn't really care." I came to the conclusion that she was one of those honest drunks who weren't really sloppy, just sort of said everything on their heads. "He cheated on me." I flinched. I still couldn't believe she'd think that low of me. If she had just waited a minute.. "I cried for four hours after." she said. My heart twisted in pain at her sorrowful expression. "It wasn't pretty. I kept trying to convince myself that it wasn't my fault, that I didn't do anything. It must have been though, I must have." No, I wanted to scream at her for putting that on herself. She was obviously still mad at me but clearly not enough to take part of the blame away from herself. "It wasn't." I assured her. "How would you know?" she yawned loudly. "I.." I rushed to her side and picked her up. "Where are you taking me?" she asked sleepily. I placed a kiss on her forehead, unable to keep myself from doing so. "You need to sleep." I tell her. "Kay." she agreed, not bothering to argue. I carried her upstairs and into one of the bedrooms, laying her down. I turned to leave but she grasped my jacket. "But you know what the worst part is?" she whispered. "I love him anyway." she said and then she passed out, just like that. I stood shocked. She loves me, she loves me, she loves me.. I love her too.