18

Selena's POV:

Selena's POV:

I avoided coming to school today for as long as possible. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. It happened a long time ago, blah, blah, blah, blah. I get that. I really do. Only thing is, I know Mellisa, and that look on her face when she told me she was coming back made me sure that she would make my life a living hell. Believe me, I knew she was planning something. The smug look on her face yesterday, only confirmed that. She had something big planned for me and I'm only dreading what it was. I walked into the school building with my hoodie over my head. Real brave, I know. I had been hiding, avoiding and doing everything I could to stay away from her. The only thing I was worried about was that she'd see me at lunch and I'd be screwed. I was so lost in thoughts I smacked straight into someone in the hallway. What is with me and doing that? "I'm so sorry." I apologised. "Hey, it's okay- Sel?" Ryan stared down at me, looking puzzled. Wait a minute, Ryan? Oh, right. Shit. I almost forgot that Ryan was attending Crosswell too now. "Yeah.." I gave him a weak smile. "What's with the hoodie?" he asked. "Um, you know, just feeling a little chilly." I rubbed my hands down my arms. He looked suspiciously at me. "Mm-hm." he said. "It's the truth." I protested. "Alright, Sel." he said, sarcastically. "But-" I started, but got cut off. "What's the truth?" Justin appeared at my side. Where do these boys keep coming from? "Are you a ninja?" I asked, abruptly. "Depends on where. " He answered automatically. I rolled my eyes in disgust. "Trust you to say something like that." I say. "I'm a fucking teenager. I'm allowed to have hormones." he says. "But you have some that work overtime." I say. "Not my fault." he shrugged. I rolled my eyes. Again. "Um, hi." Ryan interjected, awkwardly. "Oh, right! Justin, you remember Ryan right?" I say. "Yeah, course." He gave Ryan what looked like a grimace. "Be nice." I hissed. He gave me a you're-not-my-Mum look which I returned by sticking out my tongue. "So, Sel, what class do you have?" Ryan asked. "English." I replied, my eyes lighting up. "Still your favourite subject?" he asks. "Always." I say. "Your favourite subject is English?" Justin questioned. "Yeah, what did you think it was?" I ask. "Something like maths, I guess." he says. "You are so stereotypical. I hate maths." I tell him. "But you're good at it." he says. "So?" I question. "How can you hate something you're good at?" he asks. "I hate racking leaves in autumn, doesn't mean I'm not good at it." I say. "Good point." he says. "Hey, Sel, I have something to tell you." Ryan interrupted. "Yeah?" I say. "Mellisa's moved back, you seen her?" he tells me. "That's definitely a possibilty." I say. "So I ran into her the other day and we decided-" Ryan started to say. "-that we are getting back together." Mellisa arrived as she looped her arm through Ryan's. "You're what?" Justin growled. "Didn't Sel tell you?" Mellisa smirked. "Me and Ryan dated back in middle school. We had to break up when I moved." Justin turned his gaze to Ryan looking like he was going to punch him in the face. "You-" he began, but I cut him off. "-must be so happy." I finished. "We'd really like to celebrate but um, we're late for.. calculas!" I swooped Justin without giving him a chance to protest. "What the fucking hell was that?" he fumed. I flinched at the volume of his voice and his features immediately softened. "Ryan.. he doesn't know." I mumbled. "What? Why not?" he says. "I didn't tell him." I say. "Why?" he asks. "I just- I couldn't. I didn't have the heart to." I say. "How do they know each other?" he asks. "Mellisa and Ryan?" I ask. "No shit, sherlock." he says, rolling his eyes. "They met at one of my parents dinner parties. This was before I found out they were bullying people and my parents said I could bring some friends over. So I asked them and they agreed. Ryan was there too. I introduced him to Mellisa and they hit it off and started dating. I thought she genuinely liked him at the time but now.." I started. "You're afraid that she was just and still is, using him as something to hold over you because she knows that you couldn't ruin his happiness." he finishes for me. "How did you know that?" I ask, shocked. "I know you, Sel." he says. "Lucky you." I grin. "Cocky, are we?" he says, smirking. "Blame yourself. You're a bad influence." I joke. "Who else knows?" he asks. "Well, the only ones who know about the whole suicide thing are you and Nick and my parents obviously." I tell him. "What about Renee and Marie?" he asks. "They know too." I say. "Good." he says. "Why is it good?" I ask. "We'll need help on getting her back." he said. "Justin, I'm not so sure that's a good idea." I say. "Why not?" he asks. "I just- I don't want to turn into her." He gripped me by the shoulders and again I felt tingles shoot up my spine. "Listen to me Selena Gomez. You are nothing like Mellisa. You will never be anything like Mellisa. You are a much better person, don't forget that okay?" There was so much sincerity and confidence in his eyes that I couldn't help but believe him. "Okay." I said, shakily. "Good." he said.
-
"Are you coming?" Marie asked me. She and Renee seemed to try and keep a permanent watch on me ever since Mellisa came back; I was under the impression that they thought I might go and try and kill myself again so they had to watch over me. "Yeah, just let me get my lunch." I replied. Marie tried to follow me but I waved her off. I picked up a tray and let the lunch lady slap some sort of disgusting sludge on my plate. Maybe I should start packing my own lunch. I turned to walk back to my table when someone crashed into me. I stared down at my hoodie. All across it was tomato paste and there was no way a little water was going to fix it. "Oh my god, Selena. I am so sorry." Mellisa drawled. A smug smirk was spread across her face and I could see that it was no accident at all and she definitely wasn't sorry. I heard the sound of people laughing and I could feel the blood pounding in my head. She wasn't going to win this time. Not on my watch. "It's alright." I smiled sweetly. Then I did something I would never have done in a million years. I unzipped my hoodie and shook it off my shoulders. I bet your wondering, why is this something I normally wouldn't have done? Because all I had on underneath was a cream skin-tight tank top, not something I would usually wear without a cover. I swear, Mellisa's jaw almost hit the ground and I could see I gained the attention of every guy in the room. Their stares made me uncomfortable but that didn't stop me from smirking and walking away. "What the fuck was that?" Renee exploded. "I was giving her what she deserved." I smirked. "Unbelievable." Marie shook her head. "That was fucking awesome." Justin grinned at me. I grinned back. "You know..." he paused. "If people spill sauce on your hoodies and that's what happens, they should do it more often." he said. I rolled my eyes. "Perv." I said, smacking his head. "Jesus, women!" He complained. "Don't spoil the merchandise." I laughed. "Who knew you could use such big words?" I say. "Whatever," He rolled his eyes. "I'm just glad you put the bitch in her place." he tells me. "Me too." I said. "I'd like to know where the sudden confidence came from.." Jason grinned. "And whether we'll get to see it more often." Renee smacked him. "Don't make perverted comments about my best friend." she said. "Justin did!" Jason complained. "That's different." Renee said. "Why?" Justin and I asked in unison. "No reason." Renee smirked. I got up. Suddenly I didn't feel like going to school anymore. "Where are you going?" Justin asked. "Somewhere I haven't been in a long time." I said.