37

Selena's POV:

Selena's POV:

"Has he called you yet?" Marie asked, sliding in beside Renee in the booth. I sighed and looked down at my phone screen. "Nope." I said. "You could always call him." Renee suggested. I wrinkled up my nose slightly. "I don't want to pressure him, you know? He's going through a lot; maybe he needs some space." I say. "You could be right." Marie admitted. "But don't you want to call at least once?" she said. "I do want to.." I dragged out. "But I don't want to be the nagging girlfriend." I admitted. "I guess you're right." Renee agreed, taking a sip of her milkshake. "But I'd say if he doesn't call soon, you do. We all know that Justin is known for being reckless." I slumped back in my chair. "Yeah, I guess you're right." Marie, noticing my expression, lay a hand on my shoulder. "Hey, you're not a nagging girlfriend for calling; you have a right to know. Besides, you haven't talked to him in three days." I snorted. "You make it sound like it's been forever." Marie rolled her eyes. "He's still your boyfriend and I know you're worried about him." she said. "Stop." Renee interrupted. "We're not doing this right now, okay? Let's have a girl's day. We haven't had one in ages." I glanced at Marie and we exchanged expressions. "Alright?" Renee repeated. I grinned. "Sure." I said.
-
"Well, damn." Marie fanned herself. "Have you ever seen someone so hot in your life?" she said. "I know right?" Renee kept her eyes glued to the screen. I grinned and leaned back against the couch. "We all knew that from beforehand." she said. "With a beauty like that you can admire him over and over again." Renee sighed. "I suppose." I shrugged. "I suppose?" Marie turned her eyes to me. "I suppose is not nearly enough to describe Channing Tatum, Selena Marie Gomez." she said. "This is about to get serious." Renee rubbed her hands together. "She pulled out the full name card." said Renee. "I think you're right." I agreed before turning to my other best friend. "You're very protective over Channing, aren't you?" Marie looked incredulously at me. "Obviously, he's my husband." I raised an eyebrow. "Is he really?" I ask. "Of course." Marie scoffed. "He just doesn't know it yet." I grinned and shook my head. Typical Marie. "Please." Renee interjected. "Channing is mine and we both know it." They glared playfully at each other. I whistled. "Possessive alpha females in the house." I said. Renee winked at me. "Only for Channing." My lips twitched. "You might want to tell your boyfriend that." Marie snorted and tipped her head backwards. "I'd love to see that." I laughed. "Well.." Renee mused. "Why not?" she asked. This had Marie and I straightening up instantly. "Seriously?" I asked in disbelief. If it was even possible, Renee's grin became even wider. "I have enough space in my heart for two men but I suppose Jason has to know he's not the only one." she said. "You've got to be kidding me." Marie muttered. "I'm very sure." Renee rummaged in her bag for a moment. "In fact, I'll do it right now." I looked over at my blue-eyed best friend and she rolled her eyes. "Go ahead, Ren." Marie sighed. "But you better put it one speakerphone." Renee grinned and quickly dialled Jason's number on her phone then set it on the table. Beep. Beep. Beep. "What's up, babe?" Jason's voice came through the phone. "Jason-" Renee started, making her voice as serious as she could. "-we need to talk." A nervous chuckle sounded. "About what?" he asked. Renee heaved a long dramatic sigh. "I believe that you must know- even if the truth hurts." she started. "Renee?" Jason asked worriedly. "Could you please, please, get to the point now? What is it?" he said, urgently. "I'm in love with someone else." Renee finally heaved. "You what?" Jason shouted and there was a crashing sound on the other side of the line. "We haven't even been together that long!" I bit my lip to hold back a snicker. "It's okay, though." Renee assured. "I have enough space in my heart for the both of you." she said. "The fuck, Renee?" Jason breathed. "Have you gone fucking crazy or something?" Marie leaned over and whispered; "I'm loving how their relationship works." I nodded. It definitely was something. "Who's the guy?" Jason demanded. "I'll go and fucking kill him right now." Renee giggled. "I don't really think you could." she said. "Who the fuck is the guy that's stealing my girl?" Jason hissed. One Direction, this is your cue. "Well.." Renee paused to think for a moment. "He's an awesome dancer; he's an amazing crime fighter too. He's also has a hell of a lot of talents; you know, designing, fixing cars and such. Not to mention-" she drifted away. "Alright!" Jason snapped. "I fucking get it. He's perfect and fuck it all. What's his damn name?" he snapped. "Renee grinned at us. "Channing Tatum." There was silence on the other end of the phone for a while before Jason finally spoke. "I hate you." he said. "You love me really." Renee retorted. "You had me worried, you know?" he said his voice softer. "How would you feel if I had done something like that to you? It's not fair to scare me like that." Renee looked slightly guilty now. "Jase, I-" she started. "No, Ren. I can't do this." Renee's eyes went wide. "You what?" she pleaded. "I can't have a girlfriend, who keeps baiting me, I'm sorry." he said. "Jason, please-" she started. "I'm sorry, I really can't do this. We're through." Renee's eyes were beginning to water. "Jason, please, I love you, please don't-" A loud burst of laughter came from the other line. "I'm just fucking with you." Jason chuckled. "I can't believe you actually fell for it." Renee choked back a sob. "I can't believe you just did that." she said. "You started it though." Jason pointed out. Renee scowled. "I don't like you anymore." she said. "No, I don't think you do." Jason mused. "I believe you used the term love." Renee flushed. "I- I said no such thing." she hesitated. "Relax." Jason chuckled. "I love you too." I had the sudden urge to walk out of the room and give them some privacy even though, you know, they were only on the phone. And I did just that, Marie beside me. "As unromantic and weird as they are, you got to love 'em." Marie said wistfully. I nodded. That you did.
-
"Just call him already!" Marie said, clearly exasperated as she flopped backwards onto my bed. "I told you-" I started. "Bullshit." Renee snorted. "There's still a difference between being clingy and being worried. Just fucking call him already." I sighed. "Are you sure-" I started. "Jesus Christ." Marie exclaimed. "Just do it already!" she said. "Yeah." Renee agreed. "Woman up." she added. I rolled my eyes and reluctantly dialled his number on my phone. Beep. Beep. Beep. De ja vu, anyone? "You have reached the voicemail of Justin Bieber. Please leave a message at the beep." said Justin's voicemail. "He did not." Renee gasped. "Yes he did." Marie nodded grimly. "This is bad." What do we do?" I said. "There has to be a way to fix it." Marie added. "What?" I felt like pulling my hair out. "Fix what? It's just voicemail." Renee face-palmed. "When a boy sends his girlfriend's call to voicemail, there's something wrong." she said. "You need to see him." Marie concluded. "For one voicemail?" I asked in disbelief. "Are you sure you aren't over-reacting?" I said. "I have a gut feeling." Renee confirmed, seriously. "I'll drop you off, let's go." she said. "I really think you're over-" I started. "I don't think we are." Marie cut me off. "I know he's your boyfriend and whatever but I still think you might want to pay him a visit. I know I would if it was Dylan." she said. "But why?" I asked. "Because when you love someone, you have to make sure they know you're there for them." Renee interrupted. There was that word again. Love. It seemed to be popping up everywhere and every time it did, I couldn't help but think of Justin. Did I love him? I think so. "Okay." I breathed. "I'll go." I say. "Are you sure?" I asked for the billionth time. "I'm just worried about you, Sel." Marie sighed. "And bad boys aren't the most trustworthy people around." Renee added. I shot her a pointed look. Hm, let me think, who was the one dating Jason? She sighed. "I refused Jason's proposition for a date five times before I agreed to go out with him." My jaw dropped. "You said yes, though!" she grinned. "That was the sixth time he asked. I wanted to see if he'd bother chasing me." she said. "How come you didn't tell us?" Marie asked, sounding as shocked as I felt. Renee simply shrugged. Marie sighed. "I don't know about you, Sel, but I've been having a really bad feeling lately. And Justin not responding to your texts? Sending you to voicemail? I think something's up." she said. I didn't have time to question any further because we were already there. "Go." Marie urged. I hesitantly stepped out of the car, my heart pounding against my ribcage. Was Marie right? Was something up? Why did I feel so nervous? Why was there such a bad feeling in my stomach? A thousand questions swirled around my head and there was only one way I could get the answers. I practically ran up to the house and rang on the doorbell. Please get the door. The door swung open to reveal a very flushed Delia. "Selena!" she greeted. "We weren't expecting you. Is something wrong?" she asked. "I really need to see Justin." I hinted, an urgent note in my voice. I don't even know why I was so nervous. "Yes, of course." Delia stepped aside and I walked hurriedly down the hallway towards the sitting room. "Is he here?" I asked breathlessly. "Selena?" Daniel looked up from the papers. "It's been a while, come, let me introduce you to my partner." The man frowning over the papers looked up and caught my eye. I felt all of the colour drain out of my face. No. Please. "Selena Gomez?" Mr Jones frowned. "Is that you?" he asked. "Mr Jones." I greeted with a weak smile. "Good afternoon." I added. "It's been a while." he said. I nodded shortly. "Yes, it has." I said. "You know each other?" Delia asked. "Yes." Mr Jones nodded. "Selena was friends with my daughter Melissa." I swallowed hard. "Is she with you?" I asked. "She was until she disappeared." Mr Jones laughed. Shit. "Could I be excused for a moment?" I asked. Delia frowned, looking concerned. "Are you alright, dear?" she asked. "Fine." I said, backing out the doorway. "I just need to check something." I said. She nodded and I bolted up the stairs, my heart beating wildly in my chest. Beads of sweat trickling down my forehead. I thrust open the door. Crack. The sound of my heart breaking. Crack. A piece of it fell off. "Sel." Justin gasped. "It wasn't what it looked like, I swear." he said. I backed away, feeling moisture flood to my eyes. I need that image out of my head. Which one you ask? The one of my boyfriend making out with Melissa Jones. The one of her with her arms around him. The one where he was kissing her and simultaneously breaking my heart. "Why?" I choked out. He reached out to touch my arm but I flinched away. His eyes widened. "You have to believe me." he pleaded. "What are you so afraid of, babe?" Melissa came forward and put a hand on Justin's shoulder. "Now we can finally be together." My eyes flew from him to Melissa then back again. Of all people, why her? Justin shook her hands off and took a step towards me. "Please, Sel, I-" he started. "Save it." I snapped. My voice cracked. "Just don't." I whispered. My previously immovable feet turned around and walked out of the door. My heart was aching like it never had before. I felt.. numb. Lost. A single tear slid down the side of my face. Four years. Four since I had last cried. Four years since I had last felt this heartbroken. Four years since Melissa Jones had the power to break me. Pathetic. I could hear the footsteps pounding behind me. A hand placed itself on my shoulder and spun me around. His gorgeous eyes were desperate and wilder than I had ever seen them. "Sel, please-" he started. "Don't." I cut him off. I closed my eyes and stepped away from him. "Please-" said Justin. "Was this all just a joke to you?" I snapped. My voice sounded broken, even to my own ears. "Was my heart just a joke to you?" I cried. "No, I-" he tried. "Why?" I repeated the question. "I swear it wasn't what it looked like." he said. "You expect me to believe that?" I laughed bitterly. "After all those calls and texts you've been ignoring?" I snapped. "I just needed some time." he stared at me. "I thought you'd understand." he said. "I did understand." I shot back. "I left you alone, I wasn't even going to bother you today but it seemed you didn't need space; all you needed was her." I said. "It wasn't what it look-" he repeated. "I heard you." I held up a hand to stop him talking. "But if you had seen me under the same circumstances, would you have believed me?" his silence gave me an answer. "Exactly." I spat. "Was this all a game? That you toy with my feelings, fuck me then leave? Is that what you wanted?" I screamed. "Sel-" he whispered. "To make it worse-" I wiped my eyes. "Wasn't I your friend at least? What did I do to you to make you do this?" I cried. "Please-" he pleaded. "Fuck you, Justin Bieber." I sneered. "Fuck you." His eyes were wide with shock and I didn't know whether it was from my language or the intensity of my voice. Air clogged up in my throat. I had just found the boy I love making out with my enemy. I have to go. I can't stay here. Tears clouded my eyes and I turned and ran as fast as I could out of the house. Away from him. My heart racked against my chest. I threw myself into the car and into my arms of my best friends. Heartbreaking sobs, years worth, tore from my chest. For the first time in four years, I was finally breaking down.