Chapter 49

Day: Saturday.

A lot of different POV's are gonna come by this chapter, so before you read this already my apologies for a chaotic chapter.

( Dawn's POV )

I kept blinking to get the tears out of my eyes. I hadn't slept at all last night. The canteen was full of people, but there were still clearly people missing. Red, who was still in the hospital, healing. Barry, the first one to die and his seat to be empty. And Paul... More tears formed itself and rolled over my cheek. It felt like I had been torn apart. A knife which had made its way through my heart, but I somehow survived anyway. I didn't want to survive anymore.

"Silence!"officer Jenny yelled through the microphone. The few people that actually talked shut their mouths immediately. "Thank you." High heels were to be heard in the dead silent canteen. It felt more like a cemetery at the moment. A woman appeared. Blond hair and green eyes.

"Students,"she began. "These past few weeks have been a disaster. For you, for the police, for the government and for this school. Your principal failed at keeping you safe. And that's why I'm here. To replace a failure like that. My name is Lusamine, and I am the future." People clapped, even I did. Misty, May and Leaf were too stubborn to clap. They hadn't had any idea of what the old principal had done wrong. I knew. I had lost a lot, because that person couldn't keep anyone of us safe. Lusamine could be different.

We stood up, walking up the stairs to our new rooms. Iris walked to her room and slammed the door shut. I went to mine and did the exact same thing. I crawled up on my bed, hiding under the blankets. I couldn't help myself any longer and started crying out loud. Last time, I had just been in shock for the entire week. Now, I had no one left. I cried louder and louder, starting to get a headache because of it, but ignoring that.

( May's POV )

I heard Dawn crying, but decided to leave her alone. I doubted she wanted company at the time anyway. I closed my eyes and let a tear roll down my cheek. Just when everything seemed to get alright. Just when we thought we weren't gonna get any losses soon. We never said it out loud, but we truly had felt like Paul would wake up.

"Are you alright?"someone asked me. I looked behind me. Serena stood before her door, almost opening it. I sighed in response. "Stupid question, of course you're not alright. One of your friends has just been declared dead."

"Yeah, I have been better."I confirmed.

"I didn't really know Paul, to be honest."Serena said, looking at her door as if she was talking to that instead of me. "I even used to be scared of him. But I could see how much Dawn cared about him, and he cared about her back. Have you ever seen two people have such strong feelings for each other?" I looked at the ground. I had doubted Paul, always wondered if he really was good for Dawn. I never took the time to really get to know him, or see how much he actually loved Dawn. And Serena, who had been in the hospital for most of the time, she had actually seen Paul and Dawn as a couple. I never truly accepted Dawn's choices.

"Yeah, they must've had a crazy strong bond."I said, nodding slowly. Serena smiled weakly. As someone who claimed to be Dawn's best friend, I knew very little about her. I only looked at the sides of Dawn I could easily accept. But the part of her that loved Paul, or Barry, I had never truly talked with that part of her.

"Anyway, good luck with processing your loss."Serena said with a sad face as she finally opened the door and disappeared. I turned around and walked to Dawn's door, knocking on it.

"Dawn, it's me."I said when there was no response. "Can I come in?"

( Drew's POV )

I rested my head on the wall with closed eyes. All those times that Ash, Gary, Paul and I had talked and fooled around, I had taken those times for granted. I never thought they would be over this soon. I thought he would wake up and everything would go back to the way it was before. I should've realized this was still life. Life was unfair, cruel and uncontrollable. There might be happy times, but there were always bad things in life that would overgrow the happy ones. Some might call it balance, but I just thought of it as pure cruelty.