Chapter 27

( May's POV )

I laid in bed with Misty, Dawn, Leaf and nurse Joy besides me. Nurse Joy nodded. "Just a small fever."she said. "I would stay in bed for the day. You'll be better before you know it." I smiled weakly. Leaf and Misty followed nurse Joy out of the room, but Dawn stayed.

"Get better soon, okay?"Dawn asked worriedly.

"Yeah, yeah."I said quickly, which made me cough. "I'm not a baby Dawn." Dawn smiled and shook her head.

"I know."she said softly. Then she too walked out of the room, leaving me alone in bed. I closed my eyes, but couldn't sleep. I guess the fever was because I wasn't able to sleep. I could only think about Drew, Brendan, Misty and the killer. My mind basically exploded from the information. And Jenny didn't help much either.

I rolled to the other side of my bed, away from the window.

Dawn and Leaf seemed happy. Of course they were afraid for Misty, but their lives were further fine. They both had a boyfriend that would stay with them and care for them. Dawn even had Kenny. And who did I have? Except for Dawn, Misty and Leaf, that is. Misty had us, Sky and Ash. But she still had to live with a murder and someone trying to kill her. I didn't have to face that sort of things. I just needed to figure out who the killer was.

I looked under my bed and picked up Brendan's notebook. I took a pencil and started to write, under Brendan's piece:

Target: Misty Waterflower, Cerulean City gym leader, sixteen years old.

After all this time getting various clues we know the target. Officer Jenny won't believe us, but Dawn and Paul heard them saying it. Their faces are still unknown, but they're after Misty. The killer killed an Azumarill (which is a water type, specialty of the Cerulean Gym). Later on a Surskit has gone missing. Also a water type pokémon. But there were two persons in the room, talking about their vengeance on Misty. One guy, one girl. The killer is a girl, probably with a Houndour or Houndoom. But who's the guy?

I looked up from writing when I heard a sound. I frowned, but didn't see anything. "Anyone here?"I asked. No answer. I turned back to the notebook when I heard the same sound. "Hello!" I shrugged. It was probably just the wind. But before the pencil touched the paper again the window closed loudly. I looked up seeing the shadow of someone I once knew very well.

"Hello Brendan."I said slowly. Brendan didn't say anything. "Are you here to kill me?"

"I am a lot of things May, but I'm no killer."Brendan said angry. "I'm here to talk. And not about the killer, but about us."

"There is no us, Brendan. You made sure of that." I sighed. "Where were you these last days? What happened to Zinnia?" Brendan looked down, tears in his eyes. "So you were there? Were you the one that killed her?"

"I already told you I am no killer!"Brendan shouted. I was a little shocked at his sudden change of emotion, but I just straightened and looked him in the eyes. "I'm leaving and I wanted you to know that I'm fine. I wanted you to know I still care."Brendan said calmer.

"Still care?!"I yelled, ignoring the headache I had. "You were there when Zinnia died, I can see it in your eyes. Zinnia is the whole reason you're still alive! I gave up on you Brendan! If you're dead or not, you're dead to me." Brendan's eyes were filled with pain, but I wasn't gonna pity him, just for feeling bad. Even if he hadn't killed Zinnia, he was still accessory. Brendan nodded slowly.

"If you're interested,"he said with a low voice. A voice that made me think of the kid I knew when I was little. The boy who always tried to cheer me up. The boy I cheered up when he was down. This sounded like when he lost in the first round of the pokémon league. We were ten years old then, what had happened to us?