Chapter 29

Am I the only one freaking out at the sight of the 29 behind chapter. And then the reads... The votes... THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT!💙

( Dawn's POV ) (Still not telling you about Leaf)

I waited for a time that felt like centuries. My heart was pumping blood in my body twice as fast as usual. I could feel sweat on my forehead, but all I cared about was knowing my friend was gonna be okay.

So many thoughts flew through my mind. Why was Red there? Why did he do that to Gary? Where was Leaf? And so on... The constant sobbing had given me a headache, and waiting only made me more nervous. Kenny sat beside me, a lot calmer than I was. We hadn't talked to each other. Not a single word. Ash and Misty had kept each other company. It seemed to work. Ash and Misty were right now busy calling Paul, Drew, May and Leaf. Though Leaf wasn't back in our dormitory. That was the most information I had received.

It became close to night and I didn't want to fall asleep. Drew had finally made his entrance. He had yelled at the receptionist, because no one could see Gary. Even if it was only a broken hand. I was getting tired, but I tried to stay awake.

"You don't have to stay awake until Paul arrives."Kenny said gently. I looked at him. His face was soft and I saw a smile on his lips. Not a weak, failed attempt of a smile. No, it was a real smile. "If you want, I can wake you up when he gets here."

"R-really?"I asked stuttering. Kenny nodded sweetly. I also smiled and hugged him. "Thanks!" He hesitated, but hugged me back. His hands were warm. The hug lasted for a few minutes, and it felt great. When I finally let go of him, I said, "Friends forever?".

Kenny nodded. "Forever and always."he said happily. Then the sudden adrenaline faded and I fell asleep, my head resting on Kenny's shoulder. Friends. He was okay with me and Paul being together. I was afraid he wouldn't understand me, but I had been afraid for nothing. He just needed time accepting it. Maybe the same went for Red. Maybe he needed time to accept the fact Leaf wasn't the little girl he fell in love with. She had grown up to be the woman he so eagerly wanted to be his, but she made her own decisions. I couldn't let Leaf lose Gary or the other way around. However the main goal was still protecting Misty. And Ash...

( time skip )

I felt how a warm hand shook me. I slowly opened my eyes, still a bit sleepy. When I fully opened them and I could see normally I saw Paul standing in the doorway. I gave Kenny a quick nod, before running to Paul.

"Paul."I said. Paul didn't smile, but I was getting used to that. He looked at me and took me in his arms. He put his hand on my head in an overprotective way.

"Are you okay?"he asked gently pulling back to look me in the eyes. There was worry in his voice but his face was still grumpy. His hands touched my hair and it gave me a warm feeling inside. I smiled and nodded pleased. The worry in his voice was enough emotion to get it. He was worried. Though showing his emotions was hard for him, I could read him. Paul finally showed interest in the others. He walked to Ash and Misty. Ash slowly shook his head.

"We don't know anything yet."Ash said. Paul nodded, but I saw how angry he was at that sentence. Weren't we all? Misty gave a worried look, but decided to do something else than being part of the following conversation.

"Are you all okay?"he asked, skipping Kenny completely.

"Only Dawn and Gary were actually there."Drew said. "The wounded were Gary and Red."

"Red deserved that pain."Paul said angrily. They all agreed. I walked over to Kenny and sat next to him. Paul looked at us for a moment, so I gave him a reassuring smile. He just looked away. Kenny stood up.