Chapter 14

( Dawn's POV )

I walked past Leaf and didn't say anything. I was still mad at her. Leaf was being selfish and she didn't get me. May tried to make us work things out, but I wasn't in the mood to. Neither was Leaf it seemed. She had stayed away all night and came home in the morning to scream we had to wake up. Misty was happy too, so was May. Two days ago someone died and they were going to pretend none of that happened.

"Dawn,"Leaf said. I didn't look her in the eyes and I didn't say anything either. "Gary is in the hospital."

"I'll be sure to check on him, then."I said, still not looking Leaf in the eyes.

"Someone tried to kill me, but made a wrong shot."Leaf said.

"And how do you know the gunshot wasn't meant for Gary."I said as I finally turned around and faced Leaf. Her eyes were looking sad, but I didn't care. She should've acted like a friend.

"Because there was another shot, hitting a tree. And another with an injection that hit me. There were no other shots." I started getting worried, though I tried not to show it.

"I'm sorry to hear that."I said as cold as possible. The only thing that didn't make me hug Leaf and say that I was sorry, was Barry. Gary was alive, just hurt. Leaf was, again, unharmed and I was left shattered. Life was so unfair.

"Don't you care at least a little bit!"Leaf yelled and was at the point of crying.

"I care."I then said. "You just need to win back my trust."

"Trust?"she asked. "I was helping you Dawn! I tried to make you feel better. And it's not like your life is so much worse than mine! You say that I got out unharmed of a kidnap, you weren't even kidnapped! And to be honest. Being alive sucks! But I try to live my life, even if it's a piece of shit. And someday things will get better. That counts for you too."

"You're friend didn't die."

"Wrong,"Leaf said. "My friend is still dying. And I try to help her, but she won't take my help."

"Who?"

"I'm talking about you!"Leaf yelled. Misty came towards us and tried to calm Leaf down. May stepped towards me and glared at me.

"What?"I said.

"Do you have any idea how hard it is for Leaf?"

"No clue."

May just scoffed and turned around. Was she mad at me? For what? Maybe I was too hard on Leaf and maybe I did stop believing. But I felt like I was in a bottomless pit and there was no way of getting out. I could only fall faster.

I walked to the canteen, alone. I regretted being so cold to Leaf. I didn't have the right to be mad at her. She was right, she was kidnapped. I should be happy she came out unharmed. And I was. I was being angry at her for nothing! Leaf was just helping me. These times I would step to Kenny and ask him if he could help me.

( Dawn's memory )

"Dawn what's wrong?"Kenny asked as he let me in. My eyes were filled with tears and there was a sharp pain in my knee. He laid his hand on my shoulder. "Dawn, you can trust me."

"I know."I softly said. "It's just... Ursula beat me." Kenny looked annoyed at me.

"Are you crying for something like that?"

"I seriously thought I would win!"I said as I stood up, but kneeled down again. My knee hurted too much. Kenny now kneeled too.

"What's with your knee?"he asked. He rolled up my trouser leg. The blood was still not dried up. Kenny stood up and took out a bandage.