[155] The angel of blood

Outer city wall of Ayre...

"What are they doing?" Thomas asked, as he looked into the distance across the plains from ontop of the wall.

"I don't even see a formation." Drake said as he shielded above his eyes with one hand.

"Maybe they are planning a surprise attack?" Thomas said worriedly.

"Surprise attack? Pshhh!" Drake waved off that possibility with a sneer. "How can they surprise attack us in the middle of a clear field you dumb ass?"

"OHOHOHO!" Bruam let out a chuckle, as he patted the two on the shoulder. "Leave it all to the magic barrier. The magic barrier of the city is invincible!" Bruam said with a heavy Swedish accent.

"Ah. Of course it is. It's just Thomas here is being a dumbass again." Drake looked away with a sneer.

"Don't be scared!" Bruam threw up both his hands in the air optimistically. "As long as the barrier stands, the victory is ours!"

"Sir!..." Thomas's eye lit up in hope again.

"What are they doing?..." Drake muttered, as he narrowed his eyes onto the tiny black dots of people on the plains.

"Um?" Bruam turned and looked to the plains as well.

Without further words, Drake took out a pair of binoculars from his inventory and focused on the spot he just did.

"Is it a formation?" Bruam asked.

"No. They are fanning out..." Drake muttered in reply, as he stared closer more intensely.

"Thinning their forces when they are outnumbered? Not a wise choice." Braum commented.

"No. They are parting away for someone....A man..."

"Who is it?"

Slowly, as if lagging way too hard. Drake lowered his binoculars and spoke in broken words:

"Im-impossible..."

"Hmm?" Bruam voice grew curious, as he took the binoculars from Drake's hand to see for himself.

Silence. As Bruam's entire body went as still as a statue, and by the time he finally let the binoculars down, there were rings around his eyes with a grave expression. Then wordlessly, Bruam handed the binoculars back to Drake.

"Sir?..." Thomas asked again, sensing the mood was not quite right.

"That boy..." Braum's eyes were glued to the figure, and when the figure stopped moving, so did his eyes too.

For a moment, the figure was still, then without any warning, a pair of blood like fluid wings grew out from the figure's back, with each wing being about the length of two people. Then in one swift motion, the figured leaped into the air for a couple hundred feet before coming to a complete half in elevation and hovering still in one position.

All was quiet, and at the exact dramatic timing the sun was blocked out, creating a massive shadow overhead.

"What is he doing?" Thomas asked quietly.

No one answered, as they all looked up to the figure above them.

The figure muttered something in chant, and by the time he seemed he was done, still nothing happened.

"I think that kid..." Before Drake's sentence could get any further. A drop of liquid landed on his forehead.

"I don't recall the whether being rain today..." Drake touched his forehead and when he examined it:

"Blood..." Drake muttered with a shaky voice, as he looked up again, as more and more droplets of blood came down.

"The barrier is suppose to even block acid rain!" Drake looked up panicky. "Wait, its not doing any damage..."

"Then!..." Drake looked up and immediately his heart skipped a beat. The cloud went from the colour of a pure white lamb, to an all red bloodied sacrificed lamb.

The droplets became thicker and what started from a few droplets was now in full rain.

Di-da-di-da-da-da...

The rhythm of the rain continued to play as the entire rest of the wall was silent.

A droplet landed in Drake's eye. Drake shook, and wiped it away from his eye.

The rain lasted for 3 minutes, and by the time the rain ceased and the clouds parted. The whole entire city looked as if someone poured a giant bucket of dark red paint over it.

And by the time it was over, Drake still had his eyes trained on the figure, then muttered in a small voice:

"Riga..."

Q: What would your reaction be if you were in this situation?