chapter forty-one

Start from the beginning

"do you miss her?" he looks at her and purses his lips. "it's okay if you dad. i know you didn't want that divorce after all."

"i do miss her. everyday."

"me too."

grace nodded as she handed her dad a cup of coffee. he took a sip and looked at her with a smile.

"i can't believe you're already graduating! it seems like it was a week ago when you cried for me to stay for your first day of pre-school. i'm proud of you grace. we raised you well. you're an amazing woman. very mature and kind."

"thanks dad it means a lot."

"i just wish your sister could be here to see you now."

"yeah... she would be excited about it."

"alright well i need to go. i have a meeting in an hour and i still need to gather some things from home. take care okay."

"yeah."

"i'll see you in a few days. i love you."

"love you too dad."

grace would be graduating next week and she was ecstatic. she had been waiting for that day to come since she applied to college. those four years were tough. she was glad to see that her killing herself everyday to write that paper or study for that test while having to deal with mental breakdowns and weird mindsets wasn't for nothing.

exams were through and over with so now she could relax and focus on jimin. they didn't really hang out often. they couldn't go out in public because their relationship was a secret. they saw each other very rarely now. maybe once a week.

•••

on the morning of her graduation as she woke up she received a few calls. jimin called and congratulated her early in the morning.

"i'm so proud of you baby! i hope you have a good day." he says finally and then hangs up.

right when she puts her phone down with the largest grin she gets another call. it's jin this time.

"congratulations grace!" he shouts with a smile.

"thank you jin." she replies.

"i'm proud of you! remember no partying with alcohol or staying out late."

"yep. got it. i'm just gonna go to the party hosted by the school for a bit and then come back home."

"okay. take pictures to show us!"

"i will."

she hangs up and heads to the kitchen with a grumbling stomach. after cooking breakfast and eating she showers and gets ready for the graduation ceremony later in the day.

"gah look at us!" jaehee says taking grace's hand and shaking it with joy. "we're graduating college! we are adults now." she says sighing.

"yeah. i guess we are." grace says looking down at her gown.

while sat on the stage she spotted her father on a seat in the audience. he had her camera in his hands with a large smile snapping photos. he sat through the ceremony admiring his daughter as she happily walked across the stage and she received her certificates. he was proud of her. she had been through a lot for the last few years and he was proud in the way that she still managed to go to school, maintain a job and handle a relationship all at the same time. she was strong.

he took photos of her and a few friends along with some of her professors and mentors. she wore a bright smile throughout the whole thing. after her graduating class all threw their caps up and cheered most left to parties hosted by themselves or friends.