chapter three

it was raining that day. it was a nice gentle rain. the cloud was gray and cloudy. grace had started the day with a small breakfast and a quick run. she was going to visit her sister today. she hadn't seen her in nearly a week, it had been the longest time she had gone without seeing her.

she danced in the shower and while she got ready. she put on her black ripped at the knee jeans and paired them with a black tee tucked in and a large red flannel over it. she put on her black combat boots and quickly brushed her hair. she threw on her black trench like rain jacket and called it an outfit. she decided against make up because if her face got wet it would most likely run down her face. with a little bit of lip balm she grabbed her beanie and bag.

in her black satchel she carried the most important thing. her camera. the camera she had bought on her own for her twentieth birthday. she took it everywhere because a great shot could happen at any time. after grabbing her umbrella from beside the door she walked out and made her way towards the elevator.

the hospital was a few minutes away so she took a cab. she arrived in less than ten minutes. the nurses knew her. she visited often. her sister had been here for quite a while. she was just waiting for her to wake up. she would visit every day thinking that she could wake up any minute. it's been some time and she still hasn't woken up.

"grace. hello." the nurse greeted grace with a smile.

"hello." grace replied with a tight smile.

"you may see her." she said.

"thank you."

grace had memorized the way to her sister's room. she could get there with her eyes closed. when she walked into the room she heard the constant beeping noise and she sat her sister's body on the bed. she looked dead. she wasn't but her face was pale and thin. grace took a seat beside her and smiled down at her small face.

"hello jen. i'm back, sorry for taking so long." grace spoke softly as she took her sister's lifeless hand. it was cold which made shivers go down grace's spine. "i have so much to tell you."

there was no response. there never was a response. it was always just grace speaking. she alone always.

"i met a boy. well, i met seven actually. very nice." grace said. "you would love them. most teens do." as grace looked down at her sister she felt sad at what she was missing out on. she wanted her little sister to live. live again. "i uh... i brought you something."

grace reached into her bag with a shaky hand. she tried to blink away a tear that threatened to come out.

"it's a... a souvenir from that amusement park in america. you always wanted to go. i got it a while back but i wasn't sure if they would let me give it to you. i want you to have it. when you wake up i want you to see it. i'm going to take you there soon. we can go this summer. we c-could go on the ferris wheel or a rollercoaster."

she was crying again. she always tried not to. it was inevitable. she only thought about her sister's situation and she got so emotional. she didn't deserve that. she didn't deserve to lay on a bed, asleep for who knows how long. she needed to go out like a teen and live life.

"mom called. she is doing fine. i know she hasn't come to visit you for a long time. dad hasn't either. they're busy i guess. they love you very much. i do too."

she wiped away a tear as she stood up. she smiled but her lips quivered. she held in a sob and let go of her sister's hand.

"i'll be back soon jen. please wake up soon." she says before walking away.

she makes her way out of the hospital taking steady breaths. she waved goodbye to the nurse who looked at her sadly. it was always the same thing when she came to visit. it always smelled the same, the walls were a pale gray and white. her sister was always asleep. she would cry all over again. it had been too long.