chapter thirty-three

grace walked down the hallway of the school she had volunteered at. she was free to go home now. it was fun teaching kids to read but it would be even more fun if she could sleep on her bed for at least an hour.

when she walked into her apartment her phone started ringing. she dug around for it in her satchel until she found it stuck between papers.

"hello." she says.

"grace sweetie. it's your dad. i wanted to know if you wanted to have dinner with me? tomorrow night."

"sure dad. yeah, what's the occasion?"

"no occasion. just wanted to have dinner with you."

"okay. what time?"

"is seven good for you?"

"seven is perfect. where?"

"my house."

"okay. i'm looking forward to it then."

"me too. hey you should bring your friend, jungkook was it? bring him."

"why?" grace asks furrowing her eyebrows.

"well i like him. i want to know more about him if he's hanging around you."

"dad you don't need to. he's just a friend."

"i know sweetie but still. he seemed like a nice kid when i went to talk to you. he was cooking for you and he told me that he took you on a run. i want to thank him for looking after my little girl."

"i'll run it by him. but dad, he is very busy. i don't know if he'll have time."

"just ask him."

"i will. bye."

"bye. take care."

she sets her phone down and stares at it biting her bottom lip. great. dinner with jungkook and her father.

•••

at the dance studio grace sat on the floor watching as the guys practiced. jimin was teaching namjoon how to do a few steps from the new choreography. j-hope taught jin and the rest of the guys were kind of taking a break. jungkook walked over and sat down beside her.

"what are you thinking about?" he asks as he notices her furrowed eyebrows and her staring contest with the floor.

"you." she says looking up. he parts his lips and furrows his eyebrows. "not specifically you but... my dad asked if you would have dinner with us tomorrow night." she said and finished with a nervous smile.

"sure." he says shrugging.

"sure? wait... you wouldn't mind?"

"no. why would i? you're my friend."

"yeah but parents are... scary. my dad is no different."

"he seemed nice when i talked to him at your apartment."

"what did you talk about?"

"he asked me how old i was and what i liked to do."

"did you happen to mention about your passions in life?"

"yes. music."

"ah. my dad loves when people show passion toward stuff. he's strange. he thinks they're worthy of his... approval."