chapter twenty-seven

in the hospital grace walked to jen's room. she greeted the nurses with a small and a bow. they smiled back. she reached the wooden door and pushed it open. she walked in and stopped beside the white bed.

"jen. i'm back. i have news." grace says setting her satchel at the foot of the bed. she took a seat next to jen on the bed. she took her hand, it was light and cold. "not only am i doing well in my classes but i think i've figured out my life a bit more. i have a boyfriend."

she looks down at her sister's hand and sighs. "you would laugh by now. you'd ask me who was worthy enough to look upon me and make all sorts of jokes."

she thinks about jimin and smiles. "he's sweet and cute. you would think he's an angel and you would say that it was unfair that you hadn't met him first. you would love him. he's kind and he has the sweetest voice. you already know who it is, you were obsessed with the band he was a part of."

a single tear rolls down her cheek. she wipes it away and smiles. "i can really be myself around him. you know, i still can't wrap my head around this. not in my craziest dream did i ever see myself being with someone like him. he's incredible."

"just wake up so you can meet him. you can ask him for all the pictures you'd like. he can introduce you to jungkook and taehyung, i know you had a preference for those two. they're very sweet as well."

she let go of her hand and reached to push her hair away from her face. her dark hair contrasted from her sickly pale skin. it was always so soft. so silky but now it had lost its shine. her once pink lips were a greenish purple. the veins under her skin were visible through her almost translucent skin.

"i'm here jen. i'll be here when you wake up." she says before kissing her forehead.

she picks up her satchel and walks away. it always hurts to walk away. it hurts because she knows that she will come back another day and still find her asleep. it hurts because after another day of hoping that her eyes will flutter open she has to walk away with the pain of seeing her like that.

"grace." one of the nurses calls out to her. she turns around and smiles kindly at the nurse. the nurse purses her lips before smiling again. "have a good day." she says.

"thank you. you as well." she says bowing.

she leaves the hospital and steps out into the cold december weather. she drove to a bakery to pick up jin's birthday cake. the eldest member was turning twenty five and they had all agreed to do a little something. jin had no idea about the cake. he thought they were just going to hang out later after practice.

after picking up the cake she heads to the studio. inside she finds that the guys are all in one room while jin is another.

"i'm here." grace says holding up the cake.

"just in time." jungkook says.

they all walk into the room where jin is and start to sing happy birthday. he smiles widely and looks surprised. he looks at the cake and smiles even wider.

"woooh." he says as they all sing and turn on the candles.

jin admires the smile on his face. it makes her happy to see him smile that way. he's genuinely happy.

"make a wish!" they all say.

he thinks for a second and then shuts his eyes as he blows out the candles. he takes the cake from namjoon's hands and sets it down. he then hugs him and everyone else.

they eat the cake and talk amongst themselves. when the cake is gone they all decide to go out. they eat and then head back to the apartment. after playing around and teasing jin about getting old they sit and watch a movie.