chapter thirty-nine

grace was especially happy today. she was attending a mascarade ball. how weird. she didn't even know that those things were actually hosted anymore. why it was in the end of march she had no idea. her dad's company was hosting it as a party for a great deal or something. she had been informed about it by her father who visited her after receiving a worried call from her mother.

her mother had called her father after grace had said that eun jang was her son. her father knew that she was taking care of eun jang but he didn't know that grace was calling the kid hers. so he spoke to her the following day. he was concerned about it.

"dad it just came out. i know he's not mine and that he will go soon. i know." grace said.

"that's right. you can't tell your mother he's yours. she freaked out. she thought you had done it to piss her off."

"dad i really love him. he's alone and i'm the only person who has remained for a while in his life. he's not ready for all the changes so i want to make him feel comfortable for now."

"sweetie i understand you always had a big heart and you cared about others but this child... you're not ready to be a parent. that child could change your life."

"i know. i just don't think i could bear seeing him sent off."

"it will be hard as you've grown attached but it has to be done. he needs a family and you need to focus on school and what you're going to do after your graduate."

"can you adopt him dad?" she asks taking her father by surprise.

"what?"

"you can adopt him. that way he won't be sent off. i'll know he's safe."

"honey i can't just adopt him. i'm a single man now. if other people want to adopt him who have a partner they will choose them."

"it's worth a try. you would be a great dad to him."

"woah don't get ahead of yourself. i didn't say i'd do it."

"think about it. you wouldn't really have to raise him, i will. he could live with me. i could drive him to school, feed him, bathe him, take are of him."

"then he would be your child not mine."

"exactly!"

"no honey. you are barely twenty one. he is a four year old boy."

"he could be my child."

"i don't want to think about you having a child at seventeen. i'll see what i can do alright. no promises!"

"okay dad."

after ending that conversation he invited her to the party and told her to get a dress soon because the party was in less than a week. she agreed to go so now she sat in bed staring at the dress hung up beside her bed.

"hungry." eun jang mumbles as he sits up next to her. he stretches and lays on grace's lap. she runs her hands through his hair chuckling at his cute appearance.

"come on." she says picking him up and then getting off the bed.

•••

"oh and he prefers orange juice. he usually sleeps with his stuffed koala and he likes being bathed before bed." grace says watching as eun jang sits at a table at the coffee shop.

"i got it. don't worry i am a mother." min jung sad giggling.

"i know you do. i just want him to be comfortable." grace says nodding.