chapter thirty-eight

it was warm outside again and the sun was out. grace had bathed eun jang and changed him into a shirt and shorts. she told him that she would take him to the park so after they woke up and had breakfast she cleaned him up and got him ready to go out. it was saturday so she didn't have classes and he didn't have school.

she left him watching cartoons while she showered and got ready. she checked on him after her short shower and then went to change quickly. she put on a skirt with a top tucked in to it. after putting on her clothes she brought eun jang into the room and put his shoes on along with hers.

"pretty." eun jang says as he glances at grace through the mirror.

he was sitting between her legs in the floor in front of the mirror. grace smiled and kissed the top of his head.

"are you ready to go?" she asks him.

"mhm." he nods his head in excitement.

"let's get your bag and then we can go." grace said standing up. he stood up after her and followed her as she grabbed his small bag with his favorite koala bear she had bought him and a clean pair of clothes just in case.

as she walked through the park she noticed that eun jang was being very quiet. he hadn't asked to go in the swings yet.

"are you okay?" she asks once they sit on a bench. he nods looking at her. "do you want to play on the swings?" she asks. he shakes his head. "what do you want?"

"where's mommy?" he asks catching grace by surprise. he hasn't mentioned his parents since he has been staying with her.

"she's... not here."

"where is she?"

"i don't know." grace replies sadly. "do you miss her?" he nods slowly as he kicks his feet.

"mommy loves me?" he asks.

"yes. very much." grace responds.

"no. she walked away." he says drawing circles on the wood he sat on.

"yes and she made a big mistake." grace says hugging him towards her.

"will she come back?"

"i don't know. maybe."

"will you be my mommy?" he asks. grace turns to him. his face so innocent and young. he has no idea what his mom has done.

"i would like to be, eun jang but i can't."

"why not? i don't have one."

"it's complicated. how about we got get some ice cream?" he nods happily and hops off the bench.

after having their ice cream and playing in the park they go to the coffee shop. eun jang sits at a table coloring while grace works. jin jeon keeps him company and watches after him.

"he's a sweet child." min jung says.

"he is." grace says looking at the little boy as she prepares a coffee.

"how is jimin?" she asks.

"he's good. he is being a celebrity i guess."

"is your relationship okay?"

"yeah. we're okay." grace says grinning.

"good. he's a good man."

"yes he is. has jin jeon gotten better in school?"

"yes. he is staying out of trouble."

"he better or i will have to talk to him again."

"how's your mom?" she asks.