chapter thirty-six

eun jang hadn't showed up to school for a few days. he was absent for the rest of the week and grace was growing concerned. she had wanted to go to his house and see if he was there but she restrained herself because min jung was right. those people were his parents and nothing she could say would change that. she couldn't do much.

the following monday grace sat in the classroom helping a little girl with her work when eun jang entered happily with his backpack. she smiled as he put his bag away and looked for her. when he found her he ran towards her. she noticed the small bandaid on his chin and her smile faltered.

"miss grace! i missed you!" he said sitting beside her.

"i missed you too eun jang. where were you?" she asked.

"home." he replied as he picked up a toy.

"hey sweetie what happened to your chin?" she asks.

"i fell. i was jumping on the bed. but i'm okay!" he says holding up the small bear and wiggling it around.

"that's good. do you want to play with nari?" grace says motioning to the little girl who had been doing her work.

"no. can we go outside?" he asks.

"not right now but we can play outside later."

"okay." he says as he slips out of his seat and sits with the rest of the kids on the carpet.

she stares at his back and purses her lips. he's an angel. she needs to protect him.

she sat at the same bench again watching as eun jang swung his legs back and forth on the swing. his little hands grasped the chains that hung the swing to the bar above him.

"eun jang!" she hollored. he turned back and smiled. he hopped off the swing and ran over to her.

"time to go home!" she says as he sits beside her.

"already?" he asks looking up.

his small eyes sad and tired. his pale skin looked almost translucent and his pink lips were in a thin line. his dark hair falling on to his forehead. he looked like someone. he reminded her of another boy. yoongi. he resembled yoongi a lot. of course they weren't related but they had dark hair and same tired eyes. she smiled tightly and picked up his bag.

"we can get candy on the way." she says making him smile.

"okay." he says taking her hand.

so she drives him home again after getting some candy. he eats his lollipop as she knocks on the door. the same old door, the white paint peeling off and exposing a pale gray color. there was no answer. she knocked again and still no one came. she looked in from the window and the house looked empty. there was no one on the couch or the kitchen.

"there's no one home?" the small boy asks.

"no." grace replies looking back at him.

"i can wait for daddy here." he says letting go of her hand. his little legs carry him to the steps and he plops down.

"no you can't stay here. who knows when he will come back. i'll uh... you can come with me. we will call him later okay?"

"okay! do i get to go with you?!" he asks grinning widely.

"yes." she nods and walks with him back to her car.

he climbs on and she buckles him up. she drives to her apartment and takes him inside. she carried his light weight as she walks up the stairs to her door. he rests his head on her chest and breathes lightly into her neck. she smiles as she unlocks her door. she is surprised when she sees the guys sat on her couch.

they all turn to her excitedly and stop and look at the kid in her arms. taehyung is the first to stand up. he walks towards her and coos at the young boy.

"who's baby is that?" he asks.

eun jang picks his head up from grace's chest and looks at tae with curious eyes. tae smiles and waves. the little boy smiles and waves back with his tiny hand.

"where did you get him? don't tell me you stole him?" jin asks walking towards them.

"i didn't steal him. he is a student at the preschool i volunteer at. his parents didn't show up. i waited and then went to his house but nobody was there so i brought him with me." grace explains.

"oh." jin says looking  at the small boy.

"eun jang these are my friends. this is taehyung and jin." she says pointing at the two. he smiles and waves.

jin smiles and walks closer to the little boy. he takes his hand and wiggles it around. taehyung ruffles his hair and then squeezes his cheeks.

"you're cute!" taehyung says. the little boy smiles before laying back down on grace's chest shyly. grace smiles and walks to where the rest of the guys sit staring at the child in her arms.

"is there something we should know?" yoongi asks from his spot.

"he's not mine." she says looking at yoongi dryly. eun jang really looked like him. "he might be yours. look." grace carefully sets eun jang down. yoongi stares at the small boy and smiles.

"he looks like yoongi hyung!" j-hope exclaims as he observes the small boy.

"no he doesn't." yoongi says examining the child.

"is there something you should tell us hyung?" jimin asks yoongi.

"i used your toothbrush in accident the other day." yoongi says boredly.

"gross. that's not what i meant." jimin said.

grace sat between jimin and j-hope as she watched the little boy play with taehyung. tae really adored children. he looked so happy. he would be an amazing father one day.

"what are you guys doing here?" she asks them as jimin wraps his arm around her.

"jimin was complaining about missing you!" j-hope says.

"he was crying." yoongi says.

"yeah he looked like a lost child." jin said.

"i did not." jimin says chuckling. "we all missed you." he says.

***

PLEASE READ (important)

alright so i have decided that i am going to skip ahead a month or two in the story because if i don't the book will be really long. hobi's birthday has passed and so has yoongi's. i really wanted to write chapters for them but again, the story would be super LONG.

anyway, i hope you really like the story