Uncle Eric

I was in awe from hearing those words, to say the least! I have known Chanyeol's grandfather quite a bit. He would always give me sweets and chocolates each time he was staying over at Chanyeol's! I could not accept the fact that... such a joyous person... could...!

He actually lived in the countryside along with Chanyeol's grandma, and one of his sons, which now I think was Uncle Eric . However, soon after auntie got married with Chan's dad and moved in the city, Chan's grandma died. So, he never knew his grandmother. After that, Chanyeol's grandpa, and sometimes his uncle, would occasionally come over to stay at his. His grandpa was really a nice old man, always smiling, sleeping in the afternoon but he seemed to be a really wise man. However, I had later heard that his health was deteriorating, and was getting sicker day by day. He unfortunately died, when Chanyeol was 12. I can still picture his sad, sulking face. He barely smiled for a whole week! Chanyeol used to tell me that his grandfather would always tell him about his personal experience, about the life he had, teach him about the norms and values that should not be lost in any case, and interesting moral stories. AHH! Really! How could anyone even think of killing this kind of person!? Why did his uncle do such a thing!?

.... 

How did he do that though? I could not grasp the ideology behind killing such a sweet man, and curiosity was gnawing me! But as much as I was curious, I was also as sad, both for what happened to Chanyeol's grandpa, and for what Chanyeol himself, had gone through. Each time he told me the stories he heard from his grandpa, there would always be pride and confidence in his voice. This demonstrated his love and massive respect for his wise grandfather. I could not even fathom what he had gone through upon losing such a dear entity, and most importantly, upon learning this horrible truth...! 

"Please, try to save the tears for later. Let me explain now. Actually, Eric was a drug addict, and later became a drug dealer himself. We got to know about that when grandpa came home asking for money to bail him out of jail once. I did not witness him asking for money myself; mom told me about it. And it was also around this time that grandpa's health had been getting worse. His physical appearance had changed so drastically- he was getting slimmer, weaker, the skin stretching and creasing, with wrinkles all over his face! He was losing weight at an incredible speed; in the end he almost look like he had no muscles! He was only bones and skin- I... I-"
He was almost on the verge of shedding tears himself.

"Shhh... Calm down. Take a sip of tea, and calm down. If it is too emotionally demanding, we can stop here if-"

"No, it's okay. You need to know it... You need to know it all."
He closed his eyes for a moment, took a deep breath and tried to get everything sorted out in his head. I could only hold his hands tightly into mine, and caress them. As much as I felt like crying too, I held it in, for him. 

"Okay, so... yeah, he was getting sick, but in an odd way. When my mom and dad went to check on him one day, in the countryside... That was when they confirmed, with their OWN eyes that this... this sick bastard was into drugs! Mom told me that they had found syringes hidden under his bed, and pouches of... coke or whatever, in his cupboard. Ah, this bastard makes me sick, to the core of my soul!"

"Indeed! Was he really that... that brilliant of a student!?"

"I know right! What kind of a brilliant student was he!?"

"YEAH! And then!? What did your parents do?"

"They wanted to inform the police about that, but- did I mention that, bizarrely, grandpa and Eric were actually very, like VERY close!? It was as if he was the apple of his eyes!"

"Really!? Now, that does not make any sense!"

"Yeah, I know! And that was why grandpa insisted on sending him to a rehabilitation centre, without informing the police about it, about the thefts in which he ended up being involved. Of course, that was to be expected. Mom even told me that, at some point, he had even accused grandpa of being the one to have made him a drug addict! Can you ACTUALLY believe that!? Upon hearing those baseless, cowardly speculations, grandpa had suffered a shock and had fallen gravely ill. But even so, he did not once blame or curse Eric for having put him in his dire situation. Mom and dad should not have pitied him. And they should not have listened to grandpa either! He was getting old and it was obvious that, due to his sickness, he had lost his rationality. God knows how he managed to convinced those two! If it were me-"

"You would have done the same thing. I am sure of that. You are a kindhearted dork after all, my kindhearted dork."

"Y...Yeah, you are probably right. Anyway, they had thus decided to send him in a rehab center. I don't know where it is located, and I am honestly not that keen to know about it either."

"Hehehe... I guessed so. And your grandpa? Did you guys get to know how he was getting sick like that?"

"Well, as I have told you countless times before, that old-fashioned owl hated the hospital. Each time he was brought there for simple check-ups, he would get SO tensed that his blood pressure would rise like mad! He did not even want to be home-consulted! He had been getting a little- a little well in the end, but he soon died afterward. Even till his last breath, he did not hate Eric for what he had done to him. He was his precious son after all...! Ah, that bastard should have ended up in jail!"

"Chan, try to understand your grandpa's feelings here too. He was his son, his 'precious' son as you just said! Do you think it is easy for a parent to watch his kid being sent in prison!? For the rest of his life!? Maybe... he had been pulled into this unwillingly...! "

"Yeah... Ah, I hate the fact that I know I would end up doing the same thing for my own son. But, don't expect me to even pity that bastard! This jerk does not even deserve to stay over at our place!"

"Now, now. Don't forget that he is your mother's... uh, big brother?"

"Yeah."

"Auntie's big brother. But just in case, keep Toben out of his reach. I don't want him to touch our precious little baby!"

"YOU BET! I'll keep him in my room all the time that he will be with us!"

"When is Eric coming over by the way?"

"The day after tomorrow. HEY! You know what? Toben and I will come stay over here for a month! Till then, he would have packed up!! YEAH!! I think that's a great idea!! Prepare a spare bed for me-"

"Babe, you really are a giant dork you know? Look, I'll come check on you from time to time too, okay? Honestly,  I am quite curious to know how that Eric guy is. I want to see him with my own eyes-"

"Nope. No, no and no! You are NOT setting a foot at home while this freak is staying over. NO WAY!!"

"Aw please...!! I am really curious now!!"

"No. I said no. By now, you must have imagined him as one of those sexy antagonist in one of your animes."

"AH! You know me all too well! Indeed, I thought so! But anyway, if I am dropping by your house unexpected, then what? You going to send me back home?"

"Yes, I would."

"And if I have brought home-made cinnamon rolls?"

"Hmm... Then it's a problem. Hehehe... But in any case, I am NOT letting your near that man in my absence! If ever I am not home, even if mom and dad are present, don't-"

"Aww... you are being all protective!! I like it!! Yeah, yeah. I will be careful. Love you too, my giant dork."

"Stop 'dorking' me will ya!?"
He pulled me in closer and lightly banged his forehead against mine...