•Chapter 43•

*March 1998*

Click-Clack! Click-Clack! Click-Clack!

Even while sitting in the very back of Grace's B&B, Dana could still hear the urgency in Keke's footsteps, as she made a beeline through the restaurant, right for their table.

She had on seven inch heels, but from the way she moved, Dana would've believed they were sneakers, had it not been for the clicking.

"Excuse me! Sorry, excuse me! Bj, come on! Come on now!"

Dana looked over her shoulder, and seen Keke running with Bj beside her and Kaiyah on her hip.

They were two completely different people, and yet they've never looked more alike before in their lives.

Dana remembered the days when Keke would pick on her about being somewhat of a "soccer mom". Today she was that mom. What a change of events.

"Dana! I am so sorry, I tried to get here as quick as I could, really I did, but there was so much traffic on the freeway. It was so crazy." Keke said, obviously out of breath.

Dana tried not to giggle at her best friend's disheveled appearance. Her hair, which she usually kept up in a neat bun, had fallen down into a ponytail, Kaiyah managed to slob all over her shirt, and it almost looked as if one of her heels were broken.

She looked tired and worn out. Dana knew that look all too well, til this day she still looked like that.

Dana wiped the smirk off of her face and placed her hands into her lap, "it's okay, I know about the traffic. And I hope it's okay with you, that I went and ordered something for the kids. They couldn't wait to eat." She pointed at her children, who sat directly next to her.

Dae'sha was coloring on a sheet, that the waitress had given her, and Devin was trying his best to feed himself a spoonful of eggs.

"Girl, it's fine, I've been going through so much getting my children dressed, that I don't even have that much of an appetite anymore."

"I bet big mama do though," Dana said as she leaned up to pinch Kaiyah's chubby thigh.

Keke rolled her eyes, "girl, when is she ever not hungry?"

Kaiyah giggled at Dana, while chewing on her pacifier.

Dana tore her eyes away from the baby, to look behind Keke's shoulder, "and where is Shanteah at? Ain't she supposed to be behind you?"

"Yeah, about that. She's not go'n be able to make it. She had a very important job interview today, you know she been trying to find a well paying job, since she graduated college."

Dana rubbed the bottom of her chin and nodded, "yeah, that's right I forgot about that."

Shanteah was able to master what majority of the girls in her hood couldn't do, and that was to graduate college. And she managed to do it all on her own with no help.

In the midst of all this, she had a baby, a lot earlier than she'd planned, but she never complained, because she knew her baby girl was a blessing that only God could give her.

Not only that, but she had Deja's love and support to get her through the toughest of days.

And even with all these blessings coming her way, she never thought it would be this damn difficult to find a job.

She had a degree and yet nobody was trying to hire her. It was not supposed to happen this way.

"Oh well, I'll just talk to her about it another time then."