We had been watching Criminal Minds for the past seven hours, memorizing the steps the FBI behavioral analysis unit used to catch the bad guys.

But watching TV for seven hours straight is exhausting, and around midnight we collapsed.

In the morning, we got up bright and early to begin our work. I was in the bathroom, tugging one last time at my ponytail when my phone rang. I had it with me in the bathroom, and when I looked at the caller ID, I saw that it was Finn.

Surprised, I answered the phone.

“Hey, Serena,” he greeted. “Okay, I’m just gonna get this out before I change my mind. Look, I know that you don’t remember what we had, but I still really like you, and I wanna give us a shot again. We don’t have to go out publicly if you don’t want again, but anything is better than nothing.”

Aw. Serena was kind of mean in that aspect. And now I felt bad, because I couldn’t quite be like, “Oh, no, I can’t accept your invitation because I’m actually just borrowing Serena’s body, but when I find her, I’ll tell her you called,” now could I?

“Um…” I hesitated, and then sighed internally. “Okay, yeah, that sounds nice. But we don’t have to keep this in the wraps, you know.”

“We… we don’t?” He sounded surprised.

“No…” I continued. “I think we deserve better than that.”

“That’s awesome.”

“Okay, I’m heading out with my friends right now, so I’ll call you later.”

“Alright, bye.” He clicked off. I snapped my phone shut. Oh, alright, I’ll admit I only accepted Finn because I was still sore about what happened with Forrest yesterday. But he’s a nice guy, and he deserves a chance. Besides, who knows what could happen? Maybe I’ll fall for him.

“Shay!” Maddie shouted, and then I heard a crashing noise when I opened the door. “Come here!”

“What was that?” I asked.

Maddie scoffed nervously. “Pfft, nothing!”

My eyes narrowed. “Where’s Jasmine?”

“Back here!” Jasmine gasped, her head peeking out from behind the door I had just opened. I must have hit her when I opened it. She must have been eavesdropping on my phone call.

“Out with it, already,” I said, knowing she wanted to talk about what just happened.

“How could you accept Finn a day after you confessed your love to Forrest?” Jasmine blurted.

“Easy,” I replied coolly. “Forrest shot me down.”

“He did not,” Jasmine defended. “He was the one who confessed first.”

“Yeah, and THEN he shot me down.” I snorted. “Look, I don’t wanna talk about this. I’m not sure if I even wanna do this.”

“What?” Maddie shrieked. “What do you mean, you’re not sure if you wanna do this?”

“I’m not sure if I CAN do this,” I admitted. “How am I supposed to go at this, like Hotch and Rossi and Morgan do on Criminal Minds? They’re not emotionally and prior to this, physically, attached to the victim. I don’t know if I can handle this. Discovering my body was awful enough.”

“We never said this was gonna be easy, either,” Jasmine pointed out. “Besides, it’s not exactly pleasant for us, either.”

“I know, but—” I was interrupted by the sound of my phone. I sighed in annoyance and flipped it open. “Hello?” I asked impatiently, forgetting to check the caller ID.