Chapter 28

A/N: Quotes at the bottom from now on, yo. 

***

They Say Love Hides Behind Every Corner. I Must Be Walking in Circles

Chapter 28

Last time Jasmine, Maddie and I couldn’t think of a plan, we watched a Criminal Minds marathon. Nothing changed except for the fact that Serena was now included in the popcorn-fest.

It took quite a bit for Maddie and Jasmine to accept Serena. They kept eyeing her warily, as if they thought she would spontaneously combust at any given moment, but after two hours they gave up and treated her nicely.

I, for one, momentarily forgot the purpose of watching the show because it was a Wednesday night, and they were showing new episodes, and Reid had this new, hot hair-do that made him actually look sexy. Before, he was just nerdy looking, but now? I’d totally make out with him. (Just don’t tell Forrest!)

I didn’t realize just how tired I was until I found my eyelids were having trouble staying open. At one point, I decided I didn’t care if Maddie and Jasmine painted weird stuff on my face. I needed sleep so badly. With all of the stressful things that were going on in my life, sleep was my safe haven. In my dreams, everything was all right. I was weirdo Shay again. I had Forrest. Serena was herself and she had Finn. Maddie got together with Paul, and Jasmine got over Damien when she found a hot guy to drool over.

But this wasn’t my dream world, and when I woke up in the morning, I had to face that. I couldn’t look in the mirror and fool myself into thinking my dreams would ever come true. What I wanted more than anything else was for everything to go back to normal. But how the hell would that happen? My body was dead. Lisette was dead. Even Serena couldn’t fully go back to normal. She’d still have the memories to scar her.

One by one, my friends began to groggily awake and walk like zombies to the bathroom. Serena nostalgically walked around, and I could only fear what would happen if she saw Matt or Liv.

“Um… Serena?” I asked after a moment of Serena and I just sitting there, waiting for Maddie and Jasmine to quit fighting about who got to pee first. Honestly, if they had just civilly decided, they’d both be done now. But no, they had to fight it out, and now, they were both about to burst. Should I maybe have mention there’s a bathroom open downstairs now? It had been under the process of remodeling the last time they were here.

“What’s up?” she asked, looking around the room.

I wasn’t really one for kindly and cleverly putting things to make them seem less blunt, so I just blurted out, “If you see Matt or Liv, are you gonna freak out or something?”

She looked at me, to the floor, to her hands, and then back at me before responding. “I thought about that, too. But I guess not. I’ll control myself. I don’t wanna freak them out or ruin my chances of fixing this.”

I nodded in understanding. “Okay, good. I was just making sure.”

We had to sit there and wait a bit more before Maddie and Jasmine finally emerged. They had ended up playing rock-paper-scissors to decide.

The four of us went downstairs to eat some cereal before getting down to work. I got a call from Forrest to my phone and was about to answer it when Jasmine yanked it out my hands. “Hello?” she asked, pressing the phone to her ear. “Oh, hey, Forrest!”

"Jasmine!” I complained, reaching for the phone. She glared at me and I growled at her. Maddie and Serena just started cracking up.

"Hmm? Oh, no, Shay’s gonna be busy all day. We’ve got girl stuff to do. We have to go shopping, get our nails done, and buy some more tampons—”