Chapter 6: The Hell I Created- Class Trial- Part 1 (Malachi)

We all walked into the trial room and got to their spots. To review, there were now eleven portraits with bloody X's over them. Waffle, Setsuko, Bahira, Yudai, Kisho, Eri, Emma, Amaya, Masa, Cassius and Spencer.

"The class trial will now start!" Monokuma yelled. "Now then, because this is the final trial, I'm going to issue a special rule for this trial! I want you guys to work together and find out the secret behind this city, why you're here and everything before you try and find the mastermind and end this game, or whatever." Monokuma said.

"Alright, fine." Ren said. "Let's discuss then."

"Maybe instead of talking about why we're here first, we should ask about the other mysteries here." Atsuki said.

"Like why the sky is red and stuff?" Zoey asked.

"Oh, that?" I said, "Actually, I've determined it's because of something called The Tragedy."

"The Tragedy?" Zoey asked, "What's that?"

"The Tragedy is the event where the whole outside world was destroyed by Ultimate Despair." Ren said.

"Destroyed?" Zoey asked, "What exactly happened out there?"

"Murders, destruction of buildings, cities... Almost everywhere is just taken over by Monokuma robots out to kill. There are survivors out there, though." Ren said.

"Really? That sounds awful..." Zoey said.

"Yeah, it's true." Atsuki said. "Me in Ren learned that in our first killing game."

"Your first... You mean there's more than this one?!" Zoey asked.

"You don't know yet?" Atsuki questioned.

"Yeah, Zoey. There were actually nine other killing games before this one... Atsuki and Ren were two survivors of the first killing game." I explained.

"And the truth about the second through eighth killing games is... Most of you all who were here masterminded them." Nao said.

"What?! We lead killing games...?" Zoey asked.

"..." I sighed, "Specifically, Setsuko, Eri, Bahira, Spencer, Emma, Yudai and Amaya together, and you, Zoey. You were the masterminds of those seven games." I explained. I hated to admit it... But it's obviously the truth now.

"What?! I didn't do any of that!" Zoey yelled.

"Unfortunately, Zoey, you did. That's why we had to take all of you guys to this city." Ren said.

"R-Really...?" Zoey said.

"It's alright, Zoey. You only did it because you were contaminated by despair. So it wasn't the real you. In fact, everyone except Atsuki and Ren here was infected with despair, we found out. So it's fine. We did some bad too." Nao said, comforting her.

"A-Alright... Thank you, Nao." Zoey thanked him.

"It's no problem..." Nao responded.

"Anyways, why don't I remember being despair...? The last thing I remember is entering Hope's Peak, and everything before that was fine!" Zoey said.

"Well, we actually had our memories erased." I stated. "From every moment of our lives at Hope's Peak to the moment we woke up in this city."

"Erased?! Is that really true?!" Zoey yelled.

"Unfortunately... Yes. We found a picture book of us at Hope's Peak as classes during our life there... Though more unfortunate, some of us lost more memories than others... Like you and me, Zoey. We're two years older than Malachi, so we lost more memories than he did." Nao explained.

"I-I see... But why did we have to lose our memories?" Zoey asked.

"We had to erase the despair from all of your minds. But most of the despair came from school life, so unfortunately we had to erase those memories too..." Atsuki said. "Sorry, but it was necessary."

"It was to erase despair?" Zoey asked.

"I'm sorry this is so confusing for you, Zoey... But yes. Our memories were erased in part of the Hope Restoration Program." I said.

"The Hope Restoration Program was something Future Foundation made to help get rid of despair in everyone... That's why we had to lock everyone in this city." Ren said.

"So... Future Foundation locked us in the city?" Zoey asked.

"Yes... You were originally all kept in the prison cells in the police department. We let you out when we erased your memories though... And then you all woke up." Atsuki said. "But we didn't set up this killing game."

"Then... Why are we in a killing game? How could someone set this up?" Zoey asked.

"I believe... That someone somehow didn't lose their memories... And so they, still despair, set up this killing game." Ren said.

"So that's the truth behind this city, huh?" I said, "That we're all part of despair, and Future Foundation brought us in to save us from that despair? That's all the secrets, really?"

"I guess that's right..." Atsuki said.

"So now we should move on to finding out the mastermind, huh?" I asked.

"Yeah, we should-" Nao started, but was cut off.

By the sound of a helicopter above us.

"What's that?" Zoey asked.

Ren smiled. "It sounds like our rescue has finally arrived."

"Rescue?" I asked.

"Just wait for it." Ren said.

And so, we waited in silence for a while. But soon, we could hear footsteps... And two people walked into the trial area.

One was a ginger-haired girl with... Um... And she was wearing a suit. The other was also a boy in a suit, yet he also had a green scarf on and was blonde.

"Layne!" Atsuki yelled out.

"Huh? Who are you guys?" I asked.

"I'm Layne Alvarez... the Ultimate Lawyer... And I'm part of Future Foundation." The girl said.

"And I'm Kanye Nakahara, the Ultimate Hope! ...But also the Ultimate Animator. I'm also a member of Future Foundation!" The boy said.

"This is our rescue team, then." Ren said.