Wow, I had just said that to Emily to get her to talk, but apparently it was true.

“So…” I trailed off. “Chicago, huh?”

&&&

“Whoop!” Maddie cheered. “Road trip!”

“Yeah!” I cheered along with her. “Let’s party!”

“No beer,” Jasmine reminded us. “That’s enough getting drunk for this month. What was yesterday, like, three times this month?”

“I think so,” I answered. “It might’ve been four.”

Jasmine rolled her eyes at me. I just grinned. “Come on! Get pumped! It’s just us girls now, finally!”

I wished Ceci could be here to roll her eyes and sigh at us for this whole trip, but Jasmine and Maddie told me there was no way in hell she would ever believe me. My “disappearance” affected her the most, and that’s what stung.

“You’re right, I guess, let’s just go,” Jasmine said. “The sooner we get there, the better. We need to get this done with.”

“Like, this week,” I agreed. “Now come on!”

Jasmine sighed, smiled and climbed in Maddie’s car.

Whoop!

&&&

“39 bottles of beer on the wall, 39 bottles of beer! You take one down, pass it around, 38 bottles of beer on the wall! 38 bottles of beer on the wall! 38 bottles of beer! You take one down, pass it around, 37 bottles of beer on the wall! 37 bottles of pop on the wall! 37 bottles of beer! You take one down, pass it around, 36 bottles of beer on the wall,” Maddie and I wailed at the top of our lungs.

Jasmine groaned loudly. “Ugh, shut up!”

“What?” I asked. “Why?”

“Because you guys have been singing that from 100 beers on the wall,” Jasmine replied.

We just shrugged. “Can we keep singing?” I asked after a moment.

“No!”

I nodded.

“We’re here now, anyways,” Maddie stated, pulling into a large apartment building.

“Finally,” Jasmine muttered.

I slapped her across the head.

“Ow, what the hell was that for?” she asked angrily.

“For not appreciating our singing,” I replied.

“You guys sing awful.”

We gasped. “We do not!”

"Mmm-hmm.”

Glaring, we climbed out of the car. I looked around and distinctly smelled dog poo. I wrinkled my nose in disgust and ran to the door.

“What the?” Jasmine asked as she ran after me. Maddie followed. “Why’d you run?”

“I smelled dog poo.”

Maddie laughed and Jasmine rolled her eyes. I just shrugged. I opened the door to the apartment building and looked inside. The walls were a creamy color, the floors were carpeted with white carpet, and my eyes hurt from the overly-bright lighting in the building. There were no real plants, only artificial ones. Cheapskates, I figured.

“So why are we here, specifically, anyways?” I asked, peering around the bright hallway.

“Because my cousin, Gabriel, is a total tech savvy and he said he’s sure he could find who we’re looking for.”