Bombay Mixx - Chapter Three - Part Five

Start from the beginning

She pointed out my favourite chocolate, Turkish Delight (it’s great as all the others don’t touch these chocolates and look at them like they are poison) and I savoured the smooth chocolate coating and the aromatic jelly rose interior as I continued, ‘I know it’s disgusting but it’ll be fantastic when its finished. Just imagine how big it’ll be? Whoever’s bought it must have paid a pretty penny for them both!’

We both nodded as we thought about how much it would cost to buy the two flats, knock them together and make the refurbishments.

Walking into the hallway, when I got home, I could see some of the packaging which couldn’t fit into the overflowing skip outside on the road. ‘Six person marble Jacuzzi, 50 inch television, expensive looking kitchen accessories, etc.’ ‘It must be someone in the media who’s going to move in,’I thought as I pretended to watch the television but really thinking about how I would decorate the space upstairs.

‘Surprise!’ shouted Gabrielle as she bounced through the door, gliding into the front room with her hand in the air.

As we both looked up from our heaps on the couch, we saw this elegant, sparkling platinum band, encrusted with sparkling diamonds which wouldn’t look out of place on a WAG. ‘OMG, what is that rock blinding us?’ screamed Amelia as she jumped out of her seat and ran towards the light shining from the jewel.

Gabrielle basked in her new found audience as she glided towards the TV area with Amelia in tow. ‘I know it’s sudden but whilst out to dinner tonight, John popped the question and I accepted,’ she responded as she flexed her hand to show the ring at different angles to a much intrigued Amelia, ‘but you’ve only been dating for a few weeks. Isn’t this a bit sudden?’ I enquired as I begrudgingly moved towards the sparkler.

My reality check did nothing to dampen Gabrielle’s superior state as she explained, ‘not at all Neets. We’ve known each other longer than we’ve been dating and I thought since I’m not getting any younger, why not? He’s a decent man, he loves me, has a good, secure job, he treats me good, so why not?’

‘I’m confused. Who is she marrying?’ Amelia asked puzzled. I got her up to speed on the ‘Gabrielle and John Saga’ and she continued to admire this new accessory on Gabrielle’s hand.

I was astounded by the light that caught the ring at every angle and inside I could feel my jealously begin to rise. ‘How is it possible that she is engaged to a man who she hasn’t even known for six months? She doesn’t even love him; it’s just convenient for her! I wonder what happened to the footballer,’I thought and before I could stop myself I blurted out, ‘but I thought the footballer was the love of your life last week?’

There was an awkward silence and Amelia pretended there was something more interesting to look at in the old TV Times. ‘I decided he was a little too high profile for me,’ she retorted as she composed herself.

Before we could continue the discussion, Anya walked in with three bottles of champagne.

Anya looked slightly tipsy which is strange for her as she can normally handle her alcohol so we were captivated by her new found friendliness. ‘Darlings, how are ve all tonight?’ she enquired in her stronger Russian tone (Anya’s accent was always enhanced when she was either very angry or when she was in the company of other Russians) before she saw Gabrielle’s engagement ring and grabbed her hand, ‘vot is this?’ she gawped.

Gabrielle told her the story and I went to the kitchen with one of Anya’s champagne bottles, opened it and poured a big glass before taking a large swig of it from the bottle.

As happy as I was for my sister and her impending wedding, it also brought to light that I was really nowhere near this with Angus and this made me feel dejected and in need of alcohol, to take me to the happy place where everything is funny, carefree and optimistic until the morning. ‘Here’s to my little sister and her upcoming nuptials’ I shouted as I came out of the kitchen with the bottle and an extra glass for Anya to make a toast. ‘I hope he makes you the happiest bride in the word, Gabs.’ Amelia seconded this as she raised her glass to meet mine in the air. ‘I hope he makes you as happy as Dolph makes me,’ Anya announced as we all looked at her in surprise as she never showed her emotions and this sign of sentiment for Dolph was new and very unforeseen.

However, we all managed to compose ourselves in time to congratulate the new bride-to-be and settled down to an evening of wedding talk, speculation on our new neighbour upstairs, Anya’s new declaration about Dolph and when Gabrielle should have her engagement party. ‘Well, I think you should make it big and glamorous with all the trimmings! You only do it once you know!’ Amelia declared as we nodded in agreement. ‘How about the country house where mum and dad had their anniversary party last year?’ I asked as I remembered the beautiful, spacious dining hall with the regal cornicing on the ceiling. ‘That actually sounds like a good idea Neets,’ approved Gabrielle as she started writing down all our ideas.

The ideas came thick and fast but just as I was enjoying contributing to it all; I was starting to get tired so after finishing the remains of champagne bottle number three, I decided it was time for bed.

After crying into my pillow about the state of my love life and how much champagne I had consumed in such a short period of time, I was out cold, in a deep, peaceful sleep.