{31} giving up

Ariana's POV

I knocked on Liam's door twice before I heard footsteps. He opened the door with his head down.

"Harry I'm not coming I-"

"Liam." I interrupted him and his eyes finally met mine.

His eyes widened and he looked down again.

"We need to talk." I said.

He slowly nodded and let me in. He sat down and I sat next to him.

"What happened that day I left?" I blurted out.

"I told you I loved you." he said.

"But, why?" I asked looking up to see his head still looking down.

"Uh, because I love you."

I sighed slightly.

"That's not what I meant Liam. Since when."

"Since after Danielle broke up with me. When you were the only one who could make me feel better."

There goes my heart. It shattered because I didn't want to hurt him. I couldn't just tell him I didn't love him. I have no idea what to do and there's a boy sitting right next to me waiting for him to speak.

His heart was broken by a girl and I was the girl who could make him feel better and the girl who's going to break his heart again.

That was a mouthful.

I'm guessing it didn't make sense to you because it didn't make sense to me either. Well sorta. I don't even know anymore.

"Ariana?"

"Yeah?"

"You've been staring at the wall for two minutes."

"Oh, sorry."

He just looked at me hopefully, but I couldn't find the words to talk to him.

"Ariana I know you don't love me back. You don't need to say it."

"Liam, I do love you but not like-"

That's when the door flew open and hit the wall, probably leaving a dent. I looked in the door way to see Niall, fuming.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me. I thought you loved me! And only me!"

I feel like that nightmare I had 5 minutes ago is happening in real life.

"Niall calm down." Liam said.

"No! You're a terrible friend! I thought you were there for me but you're just flirting with my girlfriend instead!"

"He wasn't flirting with me." I said right away.

"Oh, shut up. I saw everything." Niall said.

"Niall, please." I said, tears forming in my eyes. I walked toward him but he shoved me back, and I fell into Liam. I never thought he would do something like that. It was only a push, but Niall is the most gentle person I've met.

"Never touch her like that again. Niall she didn't do anything. I'm the one who loves her. She doesn't like me the same way, anyway. Just let it go." He said, walking out of the room.

"He's telling the truth." I said, looking at him.

"Just give it up. You've been acting weird just at the mention of his name."

"Because he told me he loved me the day I left!" I started raising my voice.

"Then why didn't you tell me?" he said, his voice the same tone as mine now.