Reckless Behaviour

Start from the beginning

“Can you tell us a goodnight story?” Mary begs sleepily, pulling my arm.

“Not now, Little One,” mother tells her. “Off to bed all three of you, Princess needs her rest.

They make a few complaining sounds but make their way over to their room.

“I’m disappointed in you Starry,” father says to my mother. “You knew but didn’t tell me. No one even bothered to inform me about anything.”

“I’m sorry Mitch,” she answers regretfully.

“Then be sorry and think about what you’ve done. I’m leaving you and The Little Ones. I’m going look after my little girl. We are doing the right thing this time Princess. Have a good nights sleep, we are taking the helicopter back tomorrow and you are to continue your undercover service in the Denwood household. It’s almost three am, I’m going back to bed.”

He drags my silent mother with him to their bedroom and I hear her whimper at his tough treatment. I feel a warm spark of hope and an incredible happiness at having my father with me when I go back to the Sunshiny Pack.

I’m going to sleep in my own bed tonight, gosh I missed it! First I need to stop by the kitchen and raid the fridge.

-

I wake up late and a bit disorientated. The noon sun is shining through my window and all the familiar sounds of the Ninjan Pack hits me. I hug my pillow closer to my body, still not recovered from my run. I’m not used to sleeping in, but I’m pretty sure I got eight hours of sleep.

“I’m not sure Mitch,” I hear mother tell father from the kitchen. “She should stay home for the rest of the week too. She’s completely worn out.”

Her voice is worried and I feel a bit guilty for making her feel like that. She’s in protective mood and my father has no chance to argue against her when she’s like that.

“I don’t mind having her home for a few days,” he agrees with her. “Were leaving on Sunday and that’s it.”

“I can approve that,” she says sadly. “Our poor little Princess. No one has ever heard of a wolf running that fast before. The speed must have been…”

“Our little girl is special, Starry. Everything she does is above everyone else’s abilities.”

“I know,” mother sighs deeply. “She still doesn’t understand how different she is, even for a Ninjan wolf.”

“You should head back to your class. Princess is fine with me.”

He kisses her goodbye and I hear the door open and close. The sound of mother’s silent footsteps is fading away the further she gets from the house. Father starts cleaning the house and maybe The Little Ones will keep it clean while I am whole. They didn’t touch my room, which I am grateful for. It looks just the same as I left it.

I don’t understand how mother will survive without me and father, but maybe she needs time to bond with them on her own?

-

“What happens with the mission now that father is going with you to that sunny place?” Mary wonders when we are playing by the stream.

“We have to cancel it,” I answer her a bit guilty that I will steal father away from them for a little while. “You have to promise to be nice to mother, can you do that?”

“Why?” Tom asks turning from side to side where he’s sitting on the grass. “She doesn’t let us have any fun.”

“You never ask her to play with you. I played with her all the time when I was your age. That’s why I’m so smart today,” I joke.

“You did?” Kate gasps. “Didn’t you play with father?”

“I did,” I smile at the memories. “But not very often. He was away on a lot of business trips when I grew up. I usually only had mother, so promise me to take care of her?”

“You can borrow him, Princess,” Mary says smiling. “I don’t mind.”

“That’s very nice of you,” I hug her and the other two jumps into the hug too.

“As long as you promise to come back,” she continues and I laugh loudly.

“Nothing can keep me away from you three more than I need to. I love you so much.”

I’ll remember and cherish this moment forever. They are going to grow older and mature. I’m not sure I want that. I want The Little Ones to be little and cute like this forever. Mary and Kate that looks almost identical with their adorable faces and Tom who looks like a little angel when he’s quite the opposite.

I hear a call for me in the distance and I look up and wave to Jason who is walking towards us. I feel proud over my best friend who convinced his boss to let him into the mission and work with my father. We are going back to River Hill tomorrow.

I quiver in delight at the thought of seeing my mate again.