A Page From Doofenschmirtz's Book

A/N i really need to stop writing past midnight

i must have been on drugs when i wrote this chapter; but you guys can judge for yourself

i had something else i was gonig to say here but now i don't remember it 

whatever

<.><.><.><.><.><.><.><.>

*Kaitlyn MacDonald*

After Asher shoves me in the basement and locks the door, I sink to the floor. What am I going to do now?

After a few minutes of wallowing in self-pity and despair, I decide to assess my situation. Climbing to my feet, I survey the room, taking note of the random boxes piled around the room. I scoff.

"Rookie mistake," I say out loud, looking for any kind of vent or window in the room. "Never leave climbable things in a locked room when you're trying to contain somebody."

I've been reading too many books. But hey, what works in a book could possibly work in real life.

Fortunately, there is a vent on the ceiling, and it actually looks fairly large. There's no way Asher doesn't know about it.

Just as I'm about to start moving boxes, I hear the click of a lock, and quickly run over to a wall and slide down against it to sit on the floor. Asher walks in, brandishing a ring of keys.

"Holding up okay?" he sneers, pocketing the dangly metal items.

"It's been like five minutes," I say, rolling my eyes. "Get over yourself."

"Ouch," he mock gasps, sitting against the opposite wall. "I came here to talk to my old best friend, and this is the welcome I receive. That hurts, bean."

"Why would I want to talk to you?" I mutter, folding my arms in defiance.

"Probably because you want some answers," he responds, mimicking my stance.

"How did you- Never mind." Crazy. I've been wanting answers ever since Halloween.

"So, Kaitlyn, what's on your mind?" Asher questions.

I snort. "Please, never say that again." Tapping my chin, I pretend to think. "Okay, first of all, why does everybody think you're so terrible? And by everybody, I mean Drew."

"Where to begin with this one? Well, I suppose I'd better tell you about Mack first. Otherwise, this won't make any sense." Asher comments.

"Like none of this has been confusing to begin with," I retort.

"Hey, at least you're getting answers. I seem to have pulled a page from Doofenschmirtz's book, and I don't know why. So, sit tight and listen. We're going to be here for a while. Now, Mack." He begins.

I sit tight and listen.

"Mack, I'll admit, used to be close to me. Because we worked together. For who, I can't tell you, or they'll find me and probably shoot me. Even now, I still have to keep their secrets. Anyways, one night, they finally decided to send Mack and I out together to collect something for the boss. To accompany us, we had one guy, a few years older than us that owed the boss some money. He came with us because he had no other way of repaying his debt. Looking back at it now, he basically set us up, a couple of kids deep in enemy territory to steal their incoming drug shipment."

At this point, I can't help but gasp, and Asher raises an eyebrow. "Surprised, Kaitlyn? People are not what they seem."

"Well, yes, I'm surprised. I mean, it's not like I'm finding out my old best friend and my best friend's boyfriend used to collect drugs together. No big deal."