Chapter 1 // After Years

Yesterday was dreadful. We lost two of our friends; Glenn and Abraham. While Daryl was taken. Me and Daryl were pretty close, we'd always go out on runs together. We took Maggie to the hilltop, Sasha and Enid stayed with her and her unborn baby. The man behind it wasn't just a crazy psycho either, it was Negan. I knew this man before any of this happened, the apocalypse that is. Our history ended badly, and for all I know, he could be doing this as revenge. He definitely recognised me, I could tell from the way he kept glancing over to me.

"Y/N, I'll need you to go out on a run again with daryl-" Rick paused for a second, "with... well you could manage by yourself right?" I nodded, and he apologised, "look, I'm sorry, Y/N but we'll get him back. I promise" Rick smiled reassuringly and walked off when Carl shouted for help with Judith to him. I sighed, and went back into my house to get a few things for the run. I wasn't planning on taking loads, incase someone decided to jump me. Without Daryl, I'd probably be thinking about him and be more in risk anyway. I wouldn't want to disappoint him while he was gone. I changed into a black tank top and jeans since it was slightly hot out. When I got outside I was carrying an empty black backpack on my shoulders and took just a pocket knife with me, I wasn't going to risk getting a gun taken from me.

I stood at the gate and explained to Eugene that I was going out on a run. "Come on, Eugene!" I said, impatiently. "Please calm down, Y/N, we still have a week until they arrive" he said formally as I sighed. While he was still opening the gates, I slipped through as soon as there was enough room for me. "Thanks 'Gene" I said. As I turned to walk he said, "please don't call me that, Y/N" I turned back around and laughed, "stay safe" He said before he started to shut the gates again.

I started walking in the direction me and Daryl usually went in, since we found a little bunch of shops that way. I didn't come across any walkers on the way there, unless you counted ones tied to trees or stabbed up against one.

Time skip

I made it to my destination and I looked around on doors for carved smiley faces, so we knew which places we'd completely emptied. It was a bit childish but Daryl was down that day, Carol left, and I wanted to cheer him up. It worked only slightly, but it was better than nothing. I found a good shop, that didn't have the 'symbol' on the door. It was a random shop, small clothes, batteries and food sections. Behind the till area there were racks for where cigarettes and alcohol would be sitting, only a few packs and bottles were left now though. I flattened the clothes as much as I could and shoved them at the bottom of my back. I opened the smaller pocket on my bag and threw in the batteries, and cigarettes. I was looking through the food and put anything in cans, or still edible in my bag; with the bottles of alcohol. I was looking at the food that was out-of-date, when I heard vehicles pull up.

I paused for a split second. My head instantly turned to the door. 'Shit' I gripped onto the cardboard packaging of food and ran into a little store room next to the till. I left the door slightly opened so I could see who it was, how many people and what they were doing here. I was glad they came while I was in a shop, since me and Daryl made a little spot for us to hide stuff if we were ever caught or couldn't hold it all. I opened a little part of the wall, near the floor, and put my bag and knife in; I kept hold of the food I was holding, so it looked as if I was looking around too. After shutting it, I turned around to get back to watching out of the space to see who was coming. It felt like I was there for hours, I was taking long breaths the whole time.

I heard the door handle move. My eyes widened as I gulped. I man walked in, fairly average height but taller than me, Blonde-ish hair, and a strange type of scar that covered half of his face. He was looking around, holding a gun with two other men behind him. When I looked back to this blonde-haired man, I noticed something that threw me off the calm track. He was wearing Daryl's jacket. I felt anger bubble inside me, this must've been one of... Negan's men. Thinking about it, I remembered him from yesterday, he was the one who grabbed Daryl so harshly and asked Negan if he should kill him. As much as I wanted this man dead, I knew I couldn't blow my cover. But as I was telling myself that, I managed to mess up and lean forward a bit too far.

I fell out of the store room. I was on the floor, on my side, completely still, 'What have I done?' My heart raced. I heard the three men running towards me, the first one I saw was the man who stole Daryl's jacket. He was pointing the gun right in my face. I gave him a dirty look and he grabbed my arm and yanked me up. "You're one of them from yesterday... I'm sure Negan will be interested" He said, he pushed me back into the two men and they grabbed me and roughly pushed me outside, pointing guns to my back.

"Sir, we found one from yesterday" one of the larger men said. Negan turned, with a smirk already on his face, "Oh boy, tell me it's Rick-" his grip on his bat, or 'lucille', tightened. 'I can't believe it, he called his bat after her' I thought as his smirk faded and he started walking towards us. "Y/N, was it?" He said, keeping a straight face. One of the men asked what they should do with me. "I'll handle this one" I clenched my jaw as the men walked away, "come with me" he said as he turned away from where his men were.

I followed him, "so you remember me, huh, Negan?" I asked, when we got to a distance. We stopped, "How could I forget you?" He said with a grim tone in his voice. "Still not over it either then, I'm guessing" He scoffed, "what does it look like?" I raised an eyebrow, "seems like you're still angry about it" his eyes shifted to the side for a second as he took a deep breath. "You never explained, told me why, or even said goodbye" he looked me in the eye while still keeping a straight face, "of course I still am" I nodded slightly, "I know you Y/N, and I know you have stuff with you too" I scoffed. "but..." "but?" "You can take it, quickly. Then get back to your place" He put a hand to his hip and looked down as he raised both eyebrows. "You better thank me for this, I would usually take you back with me" he rolled his eyes up to me. I smiled a bit, then it slowly turned into a smirk, "thanks Negan"

He escorted me back, while he was I decided to take the chance to ask if we could act as if we never saw eachother here since it would be weird to my group; he agreed. When we got there and waited outside while I quickly grabbed my bag and knife. All of his men, besides six but they where on watch, were in shops looking around for people; since they didn't take any of the stuff. I walked back outside and Negan turned to me. "Got it?" I nodded. Negan sighed, "be careful, I don't want to have to run into you like this again" He smirked and looked me up and down. I laughed a bit, "See you in a week then, huh?" I raised an eyebrow. "Of course you will," he said, still smirking.

I turned around and started making my way back to Alexandria. Passing the dead walkers and the trees, up to the gates. I knocked against them and told whoever was on duty it was me, while they opened the first bit of the gates. It was still Eugene. "Hey, 'Gene" I said, dragging the first word. He sighed, "Hello, Y/N" I smiled as I walked in and thanked him. I saw Rick and yelled his name, he turned around and waved as he started walking my way; me walking to him.

"Y/N! How was it?" He asked and I nodded, "Good, no trouble- miss him though" I laughed awkwardly. "We all do, don't worry" he smiled, then asked what I managed to get. I told him and he nodded saying if I was alright to sort it all out with the food management lady - Olivia. It was no problem. I went to her and got it all sorted, the clothes she said I could just leave there so if people came by and wanted one they could take it, the same with the batteries, alcohol and cigarettes.

I took a pack of cigarettes, a small bottle of alcohol and a blue tank top for myself, then left for my house. I threw my bag and top on the floor then put my pocket knife on the desk with my alcohol and cigarettes. I've never really drank or smoked before, but it's the end of the world; so why not? Or maybe I'll just save these for Daryl.