C h a p t e r~S e v e n t e e n

Previously on PJD

I scream in frustration, and feel something stirring inside me. I keep screaming to them. Come out! Get out! Run!

Then I remember. Somewhere deep in my mind remembers clear like daylight. It's like a dream. It is. I can do anything I want in a dream. I can fly, have super powers, do anything.

I remember all the dreams I used to have as a kid while I'm screaming. They were amazing. They were so real. Unlike this.

I lift up my hands, and look over at a lake. I remember the feeling I had in my dreams when I was little. How I could control water.

I focused and the whole lake rose into the air. It crashed into the building, dousing the flames. It takes a minute for the smoke to clear. I squint my eyes.

It's too late. Everyone's dead.

________________________

Annabeth's POV

I see Percy come out of the room, shaking and pale. What had happened? I heard some whispering.

"It's okay, Percy. You don't have to do another one. It's okay. You don't have to do your second one," Rachel says, guiding him out with a hand on his shoulder.

Our eye meet for a second, and Percy looks horrified. Like he did something horrible.

"Annabeth, I will be doing you evaluation," says a man the same hight as Percy, and with blond hair and gray eyes like me. She looks tired and all to familiar. I couldn't quite place my finger on it.

I follow him in the room, taking one last glance at the door Percy had walked through.

Everything was happening in fast motion. I was in the chair, the man said a few things, then I was in my step mothers room.

It was dark and cold, and I was designing the new building for Erudite headquarters. I was so happy to be chosen for the task, I was practically jumping in my seat all night. Suddenly, my step mother barges in, but her face is just a black hole. She runs towards me, tackling me to the ground. I scream, clawing at her, but she stayed trying to kill me. All the whole, she was screaming at me how bad I was, a horrible child, a disgrace to Erudite, a mistake.

Tears trickled down my face, and I thought of how I could stop this. Suddenly, I see a gun across the floor from me. I reach grab, and don't hesitate pulling the trigger.

The scene changes. I am standing in a smaller room, and sliders are everywhere. Not spiders again. I look around, nothing is there. Nothing I can use to fight off the spiders that flood from holes in the walls. Wait.

Holes in the walls.

So I run over, trudging through the spiders, screaming, and jam my finger into the hole. Suddenly the hole room explodes, and I bolt up in the chair in the small simulation room.

"Annabeth, in your first fear, where did you get that gun?" The man asks suspiciously. I cover it up. He can't know I'm divergent.

"I keep a gun in my room just in case anything happened. That's why I am a true dauntless," I lie confidently.

"Ah, okay. Stunning time, too. 5:27 minutes! You are in first because Percy did not finish his fears," the man says. I nod, stunned. He guides me out, and I leave into the bunker, and see Percy lying on the bed, hands folded over his chest. I rush over, grabbing his hand.

"What happened?" I demand. He tilts his head slowly towards me. A tear drips down his cheek. He turns away from me, and mutters something softly. I strain to hear it, but can't.

"What? Repeat?" I ask. He looks towards me again.

"I'm a murdered. I killed everyone. I killed them all," he says.