C h a p t e r~F o u r

We run forward and jump off, and hit the roof rolling. I stop, and I am laying next to Annabeth on the ground. Her hair is everywhere, and covered in tiny pebbles. We burst into laughter, and we stand up, brushing ourselves off.

We notice the group of all dauntless standing at the edge of the roof. We jog over, and I see the man who spit at Annabeth, and I almost growl.

"Now you need to jump off this ledge in order to get to the compound, who will it be?" He sneers. He didn't seem to have noticed us.

"How about the late loudmouth, you?" He says, pointing at me. I hear snickering. I walk forward, and stand on the ledge looking down. As I jump, I kick my legs out, and feel my feet hit his face. The man who spit at Annabeth face. I laugh and scream as I go down through the air, and into a hole in a roof.

Suddenly, I hit a net, and bounce up and down.

I lay on the net, sighing with relief, and laughing as I roll off and onto a hard floor. A pair of small hands reaches down and pulls me up. The girl who helped me up has red hair and green eyes, and she is pretty. She has her ears pierced and her hair pulled back into a messy frizzy bun.

"Hey, my name is Rachel. I'll be the initiate instructor. What's you name, loud mouth?" She asks, with a hint of laughter in her voice. I smile, but hesitate.

"You can change it you know, now or never. There's no going back," she says to me. I grin.

"My names Percy, Percy Jackson," I say. I stand there, and watch another jumper, Annabeth, go with flailing arms down into the net, screeching.

I hear Rachel call my name.

"First jumper, Percy Jackson!"

__________________________

"And last but not least, your bunker, the room you initiates will be staying," says Rachel. She is the initiate instructor and is probably only a year older than me. She's given us a tour of the pit, the cafeteria, the control room, and everything else in the compound. When i saw the pit, and we heard the words "between idiocy and bravery," we all knew not to go to close to the edge. It was a little too much to take in.

The place she is showing is a small area around three times the size of my tiny old room in Candor. There are five bunk beds on each side of the room, even though there are not twenty initiates. There is a row of sinks and a row of toilets along the far wall. And no privacy.

I felt my face turn red at that. Maybe I would just use the hallway bathrooms that are private.

"Now, pick out your beds. Boys and girl are in the same bunker, just so you know," Rachel smirks. Everyone scrambles to find a bed, but I just stand taking it all in.

This is where I will be staying until I complete my initiation. If I complete it, and don't become factionless. Soon, I am the last one standing, and the only beds left were next to Annabeth, this girl I recognize from Candor, I think Piper is her name, and an Erudite boy who is slightly taller than me, with blond hair and electric blue eyes.

I walk over to the bed underneath his, since he has one above me, and he smiles at me. I smile back and sit down as Rachel starts talking.

"You'll be staying here for the rest of the initiation. Now, you will notice the outfits on each of your beds. These are your outfits for the whole of your initiation, until you can get your own clothes after initiation, that is if you pass," she says. Everyone gasps. "That's right. Only the top ten ranked initiates and dauntless borne each get to be in dauntless. If your not in the top ten..." she makes a cutting across her throats motion. Factionless.

I gulp.

"If we had known that-" someone starts-a boy with brown curly hair and scrawny elfish features. He has Abnegation clothes.

"Then what? Then what? You would of chosen another faction out of cowardice?" Rachel hardens her tone. The boy shakes his head no. Rachel resumes her normal almost happy face.

"I was from Amity, and I transferred to Dauntless. I was 8th in my initiation ranking. If an Amity like me could make it, you can too," she says. "Now get changed."

__________________________

I looked in a small mirror on the edge of the bed. I had a tight black suit that for me perfectly, and had holes in the tips of the sleeves for my fingers. I looked away at Annabeth. The suit on her outlined all her curves and looked amazing on her.

I stared at her, and she looked over, and looked away quickly. I smiled a little.

"Alright! Follow me initiates. Time for your first dinner in the compound!"