14 | Sea of Stars

Midnight Mission Bay, San Diego on a small dinghy boat near the larger sailing boat

A perfect day, a perfect night stars in the sky. Noah sets up the camera for the recording. I already did the work of showing the tour of the boat. The art show will love it and the channel. The boat will be a part of the gallery exhibition.

"Hit the button," I yell over my shoulder.

The little red light blinks, it's hello. My kids take their hands off their eyes, hiding the surprise we woke them up for. They lean off the side of the boat with Noah and he sticks his hand into the water. He dips his hand into the lights of the ocean. The blue bioluminescent coats his hand and dribbles off onto the boat. It's as if he is the sea god Neptune draining the sky of its stars for his ocean. The kids look at his hand then reach out to touch the last dribble of little blue, sparkly lights in the water. This is one of the best weekends of my life.

The kids lean into Noah on the tiny boat. He looks up with his fist full of stars and offers it to Sim. She extends her brown hand to his. Space Girl is barely breathing. It's as if she breathes. She will scare off the stars in his hand.

"Do you know what bioluminescent is?" He asks her as she shakes her head no. She dips her finger in the blue lights. "Tiny creatures who swim in the sea like fireflies do in the sky, but smaller." He keeps talking to both kids and explains the phenomenon.

Little Man in his life vest leans over the side of the boat. His small hand dips into the blue light. His smile was peaceful as if he couldn't believe it was real and not some movie effect. The type of movie FX in his favorite Star Wars movie but it wasn't a movie, it was real. The moment was so very Noah. He has a habit of seeing the world in ways you never stopped to look at it before. It's sometimes slow pace but exceptionally Noah.

"Tari, grab the back of his life vest," he says to me. I hold it tight to keep my little boy from jumping in and testing out the starlight in the water firsthand.

"Are you having fun?" Noah asks the kids. Sim reaches her hand out to the blue lights again. The blue twinkle reflects in her dark, wide eyes.

"Yes," she whispers with reverence. 

A/n: Second half of the chapter

A/n: Second half of the chapter.  Every year in July-Oct and somtimes in Nov if it's a weird year these lights come out. It's one of my favorite times of year.  Grunion run rocks too. Yes, this book is very cali lol.