03 | Cinderella's Ball

My head dips down, slipping on the bling in the package for tonight with my mother's help. The borrowed jewels were the fanciest thing I've ever seen. A part of me hoped that the expensive necklace was mostly costume jewelry. But the glimmer in my mother's dark brown eyes who had a taste for bling said they weren't. When she fully opened the rest of the box and lifted the earrings and bracelet, her hands shook as she put them on me. I thought I was going to have a minor heart attack with her.

"Mom, you look so pretty, like a princess." Little Man's eyes were so wide, as if he couldn't believe I was his mom. Diamond jewelry pieces that were borrowed for the event by Noah's agent, so I blend in. I can't blame her for getting this for me. But all the same, I'm a bit surprised, I'm me right now. I brush my thumb against his cheek. His cape was on, even though it was well past his normal bedtime and it should have been put up above his bed. My mother hugged Ade as if she thought he had dirty hands, just in case he might ruin the dress for me. Sim ran over to their bed and pulled out a box from under the bed. The wrapping was done in that little kid's way. With things stuck on here and there in odd ways but still cute in their own way. I opened the box from Space Girl. Inside is a bedazzled clipboard. My eyes rise from the box and I catch my mother and smile. Some girls went to cute shops with skinny girl clothes that couldn't fit my booty. I had to shop at different stores and sew up my jeans, so they fit correctly and look cute. Also spent tons of time at the local Office Max. Something about color-coded post-note paper and pretty pens was my jam. Sometimes you just have gotta go with who you are and I did. Finally opened up my personal assistant business and slowly got success. Although my business was almost bankrupt after my marriage ended. I kept pushing on when I had to buy my husband out. That brought me to be employed by Noah and his friends as a live-in assistant. This clipboard for work is a kind of everything.

"Did you make this yourself?" I ask my daughter. She smiled and yawned at me.

"Yes, Mom. Are you going to see....?" She didn't say his name as if saying it would make it come untrue, like a fairy tale. My kids really liked Noah and the largest reason we had to go. My casual relationship and their friendship, while we were all on the same roof, was not a good idea.

"I'm not sure SpaceGirl." Her tired bright smile disappeared, and I felt like a total shit with its sudden absence.

A knock at our apartment door interrupted our conversation, and my mother went to open it. Three were not drunk yet and my best friends came through the door. My cousin Eve is in a beautiful purple dress. Carly is in a tight periwinkle dress and Jo-Lee is in a pink dress that goes with her curves. With me in a light lime dress, we look like a flower together.

"Looking good, woman!" Jo-Lee comes through the door and hugs me first. Then the kids and my mom. Carly and Eve exchanged hugs around the room. I wasn't sure about this dress because it was bright and high on the thigh. I was originally going to wear a suit with a black skirt. But Eve said she'd burn everything I got if I did that. It was a gala event, and the tickets were completely sold out. Lots of picture taking and I was working the event. It was more professional for the Gala. I spent the full coin on this light, tight-fitting Valentino dress. I kiss the kids goodnight and join my friends in the limo.

"Take that worried expression off your face. Tonight is our night. You've worked your ass getting this together." Eve scolded me. My cousin was right, I did. I even got three extra tickets for them. This event is more expensive to go to than the Met Gala in New York on purpose. People were willing to sell partners to get into the Met Gala. It's exclusive art being sold on top of the massive amount of star power. The event had a red carpet with the press. It was a significant opportunity for Carly, who hosts her own baking YouTube channel. As well as a press chance for Jo-Lee, who hosts her own candy-making YouTube channel. But that question of if Noah was coming or not weighed on my heart. If he didn't come, it wouldn't be the end of the world. The hype about Noah's disappearance was a mess. His subsequence sail around the world was treated as a publicity stunt. That stunt was accused by some to be orchestrated by his agent, Sharlotte Gold. Which created even more of a media circus around him. It wasn't, and it was my fault.

As the sleepy streets of Sacramento race by the lights of the Crocker Art Museum shine into the dark night. At night, the sailing ship pierced the sky with blue spotlights on it. His paintings with lighting on them and paintings of the sea. It was striking, with the red carpet next to it. Cameras went off as our limo rolled up earlier than any of the VIPs. Carly and Jo-Lee got out first and went to smooch with the press. Then Eve pulled out her camera to record for their channels.

I took a deep breath, got my bedazzled clipboard, and got to work. Walked down the red carpet with pride, past the large sign in lights, with the event name One Night Only. 

A/n: I'm dying to tell you guys everything

A/n: I'm dying to tell you guys everything. LOL, I wish I could edit faster1!!! omg f'n about to burst.