30 | Wait

He's tall in the distance, long sandy blond hair blocking his eyes

He's tall in the distance, long sandy blond hair blocking his eyes. But that single ocean blue eye was on me. That ocean blue pierced me as nothing else could. A gaze that was locked on me but I found a way to navigate my storm. Filling the eye of my storm with water. Noah did in seconds what Theo couldn't manage. It was the first crack in me, a terrible wrenching in my gut.

As my heavy footfalls crunched through the gravel of the driveway. Every crunching step away from Theo's hurt. Him... betraying me with another woman was nothing to the public and legal doubt of my ability to care for my children. And those tears... never came. Water filled through the tiny hole in the eye but I was so used to water. So, accustomed to drowning, not breathing was more normal than breathing. That release of the storm I was in the center of would give me a tiny amount of solace. And the burning in my eyes that was threatening an explosion of emotion I was barely holding back.

I spent so much time carrying the load that I didn't have another step in me. Maybe, if I hadn't known what it was like to feel again. To reach out to trust again maybe it wouldn't have felt so bad. I'd still have that numb layer and Theo couldn't have found a way to hurt me again. That tiredness creeps back into my soul. Absolutely done with all of it. I stared into the stormy sky above the eye of my storm. The storm had been threatening to fall for the last three days. Cloud after cloud racing across the sky but passing us by until it didn't as the first drop of cold water hit my nose.

A large figure standing in the shadow of the warehouse just out of view of the paparazzi cameras. Took a step forward when I stopped in my tracks. His ocean gaze was hard and for just a moment I saw it slip past me and slide behind me. Not to the side where the paparazzi cameras were but just next to. And it clicked, that thunderous glare was pointed straight at Theo. And I turned my head back and wished I didn't. A stark Theo stared back at me. He had a hint of remorse finally and it was empty. I was so deep in that place beyond rage, beyond tears, and beyond all things so hard to stay in. Both being torn apart and protected in the center of the storm. But I have hope, and hope isn't my friend.

Fighting for control to move away and find a place where I could drown. But I didn't have any more in me. Nothing was left but emptiness. My top is getting more and more wet and the cold of the rain seeping into my bones. A chill that spread quickly until my body shook quietly.

Two warm arms surrounded me engulfing me in a furnace of all to familiar heat. Noah gathers me up lifting up and my legs instinctively wrap around his waist. My head resting in the crook of his neck. And the tears I thought were beyond all things finally fell. A release of tears that were in the same way you save yourself from a riptide. Logic is so hard to take but the only thing to do is surrender to the sea.

Noah's deep voice pops into my head. A memory of our first trip on the boat. Him standing and explaining to both me and the kids what to do when caught in a rip current. The type that pulls you away from land. You fight against it trying with everything you got to get back to shore and get tired out then drown. Even with a life vest on people have been known to panic. Take off the life vest and try and dive under the tide to get away and drown. He stood in the water towering over everything like the Neptune he is. And what was extremely deep in the water for everyone else was normal for him. He took turns teaching the kids how to survive a riptide. And then it was my turn. I don't know why I thought he wouldn't have drilled the knowledge into me as well. He's always so careful with all of us.