19 | Bus

A strained moan from the bus engine as it pulls away from the bus stop. It was the third bus that passed by and it still wasn't the correct bus to take us to the t-ball practice. Something is so willfully wrong with public transportation in California. The mass transit system is awful in the west. It's less than an afterthought. Even the cars drive cars in California it's impossible to live without one. I flip through my phone while holding Ade's shoulder. Another message from Sharr and more work. Thankfully, things are slowly falling into place weeks after my meltdown and makeup with Noah. I still try to do my best to not be around him. I'm careful about schedule checking with Sara but we are in a better place. One problem was partly taken care of and more problems abound.

The car really was on its last legs and that farting noise from the engine had me barely driving it anywhere. I'm not looking forward to taking it to repair and finding out the price for the fix.

Little man's worried fingers play with the tie of his cape. His wide eyes watch another bus go by with a grumpy expression. It was a countdown until the explosion and his unhappiness was loud. T-ball wasn't his best sport. But not because he couldn't be good at it. It's hard to get to practice and the big changes in his life didn't help. As much as Ade could have been good at it he fell behind the other kids. Theo and I have the weirdest visitation so the kids do extracurricular activities. That option was important to me if they wanted stuff after school. Plus, it might be something Ade could bond with his father and his half little brother. I was over calculating but at the very least he will hopefully have fun.

"None of the other kids take the bus to practice," said Little man. And the unhappiness bomb went off full pout.

"We have to save the car Little Man." I wasn't going into a complete explanation when I'd already told him before. He wants to be unhappy and sometimes you just got to let them vent.

"The other kids don't take the bus."

"No, they don't." The other kids show up in nice cars with their parents and expensive cleats.

"I'm going to made fun of...." he says darkly.

"Who's going to?" Fuck with my baby. Unsaid but my sharp ears were on now. He doesn't answer and shrugs against me on the bench. "Do you like playing baseball?"

"Dad does," he answers quickly.

"Yes, but do you like it?" He thinks about it for a bit, turning it over. His fingers are busy in his cape loop. Ade wears the cape all the time and when he takes it off, he's fast. It's basically like wearing weights all day when he's running with the drag from the cape. He has a chance to be very good at baseball. Plus, in his baseball cap, with cute baseball practice uniform, he was adorable. I had to stop myself from taking tons of pictures for mom and the girls every practice.

"Ya, mom." Well, that's good to hear.

"Ok, do you know about the home team?" He nods his head in answer. "Well, we are the home team and you always root for the home team. When we take the bus we are doing it to save money. Money that can be used for things for you and also your sister."

"What kind of things?" He asks.

"Space camp." The two words perked him up. All his attention was on me and not the cars racing past the bus stop.

"Space camp that Sim wants to go to?"

"Yes, baby."

"She really really wants to go mom."

"Yes," I pulled Ade in close. "Being a family means making sacrifices and trying because we love each other."

"The home team?"

"The home team," I answer him. With squeaky brakes, the bus pulls up. We stand up for the bus together and Ade looks up the stairs at the bus driver. Then climbs the steps up to the bus without conflict. I drop the fee into the box but when I try to push Little Man forward into the seats, he stops in the middle of the aisle. He stood tall which was hard to do in baseball socks and slides. His cleats in my over-wise bag would have made him look taller, but he's a kid. He eyes the passengers on the bus and it was as if it was a general eyeing his troupe.

"My name is Ade, it means crown," he proclaimed loudly. "My sister is going to space camp..." But then he looked a little confused and stubborn. A lot like when he ate the broccoli trap between confusion and stubbornness. His expression stilled into pure determination. "I'm taking the bus now because I'm on the home team. And we gon win." No passenger on the bus said a word. Even the bus driver tilted her head and sized him up. He waves at the crowd and the people on the bus stare at Ade stunned by his proclamation. But then a young woman with a college t-shirt waved back at him and fist-pumped. So did a few other people on the bus and that seemed to satisfy the leader of Cloud City. He took my hand and dragged me to an empty seat and we sat down.

Embarrassment sinks into me. And then I observed Ade's determined gaze out the window. Gone was the fear of huge stinky buses. And the tears that were at the edge of his expression was completely wiped out. Little Man look like he was ready to conquer the world. Maybe, I could learn a thing or two from him. Sometimes it's ok to have little fears, but it's about what you do in the face of it that really matters.

A/n: Side note I accidentally got contacted by Brock O'hurn and I fell out of my chair. Like.... this man trying to make me more of a stalker?????????????? Doesn't he realize I wrote more than 100k thirst trap books with this man? DOESN'T HE REALIZE? I have my char bang-out with him just for fun sometimes because I like brock o'hurn. DOESN'T HE REALIZE WHO WE ARE.. you know I got in the DM. YOU KNOW I GOT IN THEM DM's..... no shame in my game. When that DM ding came. I walked right in with a smile.

LMAO --- my long-time mofo reads know I'm like we did it, people! I'm ready for you Noah

Then I notice no check mark and got sad. I'm like noooo Noah!!! lol.

Had to put my stalk away this impostor. 

I'm sorry for taking a break from Nano Prep and writing during Nano. I want to thank you guys for the years of support. I am so freakin thankful you have no idea. I never really thought but there people would end up reading this book. So, thank you so much again. Have yourself a happy holiday!