23 | Need - Part 1

A rhythmic click snip of the scissors. Long locks of sandy blonde hair fell on to the wood deck of the boat. Noah's hair was long before he sat down on the deck chair at the bow of the boat. It fell down to the middle of his back, hanging thickly. So, damn luxurious I find it increasingly harder to concentrate on my hair cut task. I kept worrying that it would get caught up a while after he was working. I drag my fingertips through his thick hair. Shaking it out and taking another cut of hair. It made the sandy locks fall to just beyond his shoulders instead.

It had been months since I'd been on the boat. Memories of short dates and trips with the kids flooded me. Along with my ugly feelings, that woman's hand dragging along his chest like she knew. If I dwelled on that thought, I'd scream. Another clip snip and more of his hair falls to the boat deck. The blue ocean rocks us with a gentle embrace of waves. In the distance, the dock with the other boat, Noah's repairing. The driver in the truck stopped talking the closer we got to the Marina. And when we pulled into the Marina, there were only two sailing boats in the sea of high-tech yachts. It was like his boats were some throw away to bygone ages. One boat had been built to appear that way. The other boat was built in the 1800s and painstakingly restored. It was like every time we could have been talking when I dropped by for work he was banging away on that boat. When he wasn't plugging away at that other boat, he was walking towards Folsom Lake. He did everything in his power to ignore my existence. I was truly fired from his whole damn life for a while. But now we are thankfully in a better place. I shake out his hair again, my fingers scratching his scalp gently and shaking out the locks. Then I line the ends up for more cuts.

We've not started the trip yet, and the dock looms in the distance. Haven't even spoken much either. Each time he fidgeted, so did I. It was unsettling, I thought I was hiding my anxiety about losing him in the truck. But maybe I didn't do such a good job. Noah sat in the seat, so still until another round of fidgets would start. His hands bunched together tight. He really hates getting his hair cut. At least he's not digging nails into his palms. Had to try to make it better. With a tiny smile, I scratch his scalp again, running my hands through rhythmically. Trying my best to not make it such an unpleasant experience. His hands in his lap relax. Shirt off and trunks on sitting in the slight breeze. He's very much the modern embodiment of Neptune that I call him. My busy fingers moving instead of cutting the next part. It distracted him and I relaxed myself with the task. I combed out the hair again, checking if the length was correct. Giving the big ole lion mane a wash and dry. Then setting up for the cut took almost no time. But we were deadlocked. In this silent standoff, that's mostly on my part. Both in our own little world.

Until...

I dig my nails deeper into his hair, scratching the scalp and he tilts his head back. A big smile down at him and he smiles back at me. Even when we spend a second in a bad spot, we get back into a good spot pretty fast.

"I like that," he says in his deep voice. At the museum I thought when Theo met Noah it was like a cat meeting a dog. Theo being the dog and Noah being the cat. If I had known how much he loved the scratches, I wish I had done it sooner. I'd always been very careful with his hair during sex. Sometimes Noah gets overloaded and shuts down. Plus, I'm of the camp don't touch a black woman's hair unless invited. And I tend to extend that courtesy outwards. His hair is lush, thick and everything I imagined. If I could have purred and got away with it, I would have. I'd be the cat instead of him and even happier for it.

"I like that too," I said to him. It looks like the #teamcum train was absolutely unstoppable. I was getting ready without him just doing this. Toot, toot. I had a few cuts left, but now that he was more relaxed, I wish it would last longer. I took the last snip. "Noah, why did you rebuild the other boat? Don't you normally build a new one?"