23 | The Call

4 am

4 am.

I rub my sleepy eyes. Then roll over in my bed and check myself out in the large vanity mirror across from the bed. "It's so early," I groan. I go through my phone, fixing their schedule and getting my clients prepped for their days. Ten more voicemails to go through. Maybe it's the lazy or the cold, but I sneak back into the warm bed to go over the day's work.

"Hey, this is Zoe. I'd like to line you up for another year of work while I'm away. I'll be home for Christmas. Maybe we can do a joint Christmas with you and the kids?" I hear the welcoming smile in her voice. "Over the years, I've been watching YouTube videos, and I know Noah enjoys you and the kids staying at the house. It's been one of his best years, except for the slight hiccup."

Guilt roils in my stomach as I listen to her bubbly message. My hand pushes the heavy blankets down. The voice mail continues.

"I'd be more than happy to work out a new contract. Thank you for all your hard work for my friends and family. It's been a crazy year, but with your help, I've dealt with big life changes." The sincerity in her tone was obvious and heartfelt. Making my guilt even more painful.

I bite my inner cheek. Center my mind and get back into the other messages left from my clients.

A/n: We back see you in four days.