27 | Boxes - Part 2

I was still drinking that warm coffee poured out into my mug, waiting for Sharr to show up at my house. I had the paperwork ready for her and signed for her. When I emailed the lawyer I had on retainer for the company. My lawyer is a wonderful older black woman who gave me a bit of advice, 'know your worth." She'd been working for a company for years, getting low balled. More than half of her career meaning that it cut into her retirement. She was paid well, and she was still a lawyer, of course. But in comparison to everyone else at her old firm, she got low balled, so she was always behind. Meanwhile, she was just happy to be at this high end law firm. She'd worked her whole life trying to get to that point, and for her, getting hired and doing a good job was the finish line. But the problem with that was it was casually devaluing herself. One of her peers who came into the company made more than her. And got an offer to become a partner on top of it. She was the better lawyer, though. So, when she tried to correct the problem and get a better bag. That high end law firm was so accustomed to her being devalued. They tried to keep law balling her instead of paying out on par with her peers. She left that firm and got the correct pay and some. Became partner two years after joining the new firm. She kicks the ass of her old law firm to this day. But the less was knew your worth, and the words rang in my mind.

What is my worth as a professional?

I started my job as a Personal Assistant by chance. Working for Carly and other online creators made sense. I had an odd skill set and when most girls were at Forever 21; I was at office supply stores. My nose is deep in the highlighters and colored sticky notes. While Carly was in the appliance section and Eve was in the cameras department. We were odd young kids, and it made sense, but I also enjoyed the fact that my skill made it easier for them. I liked straightening their worlds out and fixing things.

When I was younger, my father got cancer, and we lost everything. My mother did her best, but we ended up moving in with Eve and her uncle. We had next to nothing, less than nothing with a mountain of medical debt. Straightening things out and making it organized made my world make sense. I always felt better. And if that made me feel better, why not get paid for it and get that bag? So, I did, and I started the business that broke even some years and did well for some years. Just as it was beginning to take off the divorce, I had to buy Theo out of the business. Even though he was never a part of its inner working but it's fifty-fifty split in California.

I thought about quitting, but I gutted through it and got hired for Noah. Took on more clients and paid back the loan kept the business going until we were back. Built it up and now this huge contract. I shook my head and still couldn't fully believe it. Completely different place than before.

Know my worth.

I did know my worth.

Knock, Knock.

I smiled and opened the door to Sharr.

***

It took more than three hours to work my way through the contract with her. Highlighting parts that I wanted a different take on.

"I think the most important thing is I'd like you to take 2% back and put my name on the list of sponsors for the event." Surprised, rippled across Sharr's expression, got her with that one.

"That's an interesting offer." But the warm, casual friendly gaze she gave me before disappeared. The business ice lady was out to play. I was now in the big leagues instead of a plucky sidekick. She offered me good money. Having my business name in the list would have been the equivalent to getting back end on song credits. It doesn't just mean casual money when someone listens to the song. It also means more business coming to you as more folks look for hits from you. I wouldn't get paid on the back end because it's a charity event. But I could expect more business on the back end because of it. I gave her my version of Jo-Lee's cheshire cat smile. The type of tooth smile where you show you're getting all the cookies and cream. And leaving no crumbs.