15 | CakeMe

I was running late so damn late for the appointment. I've begun taking on more clients but getting Space Girl to Space Camp wasn't going to be easy. Deep down inside I felt she needed it and I was going to stretch my ass off trying to get it for her. I made no promises, but I was going to try. Snatching the phone from the dash firing off another text to Noah's Agent for a meeting time with her. It was a quick message about the meeting to return the costume jewelry at my apartment. In a safe lock box, I didn't think it would be stolen it was a pretty friendly neighborhood. We stayed in the same school district and neighborhood on purpose. But many things can happen and I'd rather have it returned. Even fancy fake costume jewelry isn't cheap. I chuck the phone into my bag. The car makes a sad dying cow sound even with the engine off, great another problem.

The car door slams and I run to the front door of the storefront bought by my friend Carly. Cleaning it is on the agenda for the opening coming up next year. The CakeMe sign is going up in a few days. It was once a dive fast-food restaurant, but she's turning it into a business. The type of place where she does food base content creation. She plans on serving cakes and food. It's a good idea because you're always left with tons of food when you make stuff. More than even the crew could eat and it could help her refine her recipes in a good way. She hired a great sous chef who has the experience to act as a full-time chef. It should work out for the times when she is at YouTube events or other events. It's what she's been pushing towards for years with her channel. But, lateness when helping your friend makes me the ass.

The seating area was cleaned up already. Walls strip down and the trash that was everywhere when she bought it was gone. I headed to the kitchen it was a mix of new and old stainless steel. Half the kitchen had been replaced. The kitchen is completely clean. My best friends sitting at a table in the side of the kitchen. Warmth spreads through me and a little guilt at missing out. Cocktails and cakes were on the table. They were laughing together, and I held my breath at the familiar sight. Eve, my younger cousin leaning in with her devilish smile on display. Jo-Lee head tilted toward Eve. I could guess they were causing trouble together again. Because they are always causing trouble together. You'd never know that Jo-Lee was more than ten years her senior the way she cut up with Eve the youngest of us. Carly, doing an impression of my mother I'm too familiar with. My Moms impact on Eve, Carly, and my life has been so large. But Carly takes after her even though she isn't related at all to my mom. She just has this way about her and this belief that lights her up. Her honey-kissed complexion was ruddy with laughter. She says the Spanish word instead of the English words then switches again to English. She does it absentmindedly. It's a habit from our childhood and her mom is the same way. Her eyes come up to mine and when she sees me, maybe she knows. I feel like I missed everything and stuff is just fucked up. I've not exactly been hiding things from them but with no time to talk to anyone, it's basically the same effect.

Carly tilts her head at me stopping the laughter and conversation happening at the table. All three of my friend's eyes fall on me. I'm not sure why that was a trigger for everything but it was. I slipped it all a dam of words that I just had to get the fuck out of me. Sim hiding things from me, taking on a ton more work, and not having time for shit is stressing me the fuck out. All of it flows out except Noah... Noah.. completely messed up. But I left that in the pot. Our breakup wasn't a secret I kept from them but it wasn't like anything changed. Fucking, doesn't make a relationship it just makes fucking. But for the most part, the stress fell from me like water. And it was good to get it gone.

Jo-Lee pushes the mini cake and cocktail in front of me with a, "You need this." I took it. I trusted someone else to work out the rest of it because I need to let it go. Sometimes you can't carry it anymore not one more single step.

I got caught up on where my girls were at. Carly, and the modern bakery. The wood is antiqued and Distressed look with splashes of purple. I could almost see her vision of what it looked like when it was done. Carly also said she was inviting her ex-boyfriend. Three of us sighed together and Carly missed it. She has a habit of believing in love even if someone might not be worthy of all of it. Her ex-boyfriend is one she's had since high school. They've been on and off again for years. Through her college years and into adulthood. It's messy because they do a sort of work, sort of being the key word. Not in the same way that Theo and I sort of worked until we didn't. Their relationship is like a blinking light bulb. You can almost see it working then something happens. If I was going to describe her ex-boyfriend Emilio I'd say nothing is wrong with him. But nothing is right with him either. He's missing that big moment or a series of small ones in a row that says they have something. The man just takes up space, and that's not really a nice thing to say about anyone but it's him in a nutshell. He's filler that she's investing so much to make work. Not a bad guy at all. But he wants it less than her.