32 | To Build a Love

My blurry eyes open in Noah's arms, a morning on a blue lake

My blurry eyes open in Noah's arms, a morning on a blue lake. The tiny dinghy boat bobs on the water hanging on to the dock like a kite in the wind. And just like a kite I could imagine the boat being swept out all alone in the middle of the lake on an adventure someday. Bright orange flowers tip over in a bow with water filling their little petal cups. It must have rained again during the night.

The last of the California Poppies blooming season was in beautiful sporadic clusters. With little patterns of pretty orange flowers peeking out at the dawn. Only the tip of the sunrise could be seen just enough to light the night up to announce the start of a new day.

For reasons last night a part of me didn't think I could make it. Hell, I still am not totally sure. Warm arms tighten around me and a smile leaks into my expression as if it couldn't be helped and well it couldn't. I felt that answering smile on top of my head. I touched my overheated forehead for the fever and it is still there but not too bad. I wasn't over it, still had a slight headache but better all the same.

"Hey Noah," I looked up at his smiling expression.

"Morning Shiny," he says to me.

"Do we have to go back?" I asked him. Snuggling under the covers, the soft sheepskin tempting seductively for me to go back to sleep. I kept one eye open to watch the sun rise slowly march up the dawn.

"No, we do not need to," he said. The way he put it the words was so cautiously as if he wasn't sure of my reaction. My hackles came quick. Slowly when we first met I began to learn something about Noah. He doesn't hide things but it takes him a second to get things out. I stayed in place on his lap and waited for it.

"I was half falling asleep again," I said.

"Does that mean I can take you back to the house now?" He asked. I tilted my head and reran what he said in my head again. Worry set in and I hated it but I listened to my gut.

"Noah?"

"Yes?"

"What's going on?" I turned around straddling his lap so I could watch his eyes better. But rather than catching his ocean gaze to understand where he was at, I was stuck. The blanket fell off me, caught breathless locked on what was behind me. Noah quickly wrapped the sheepskin blanket around me and I snuggled into it. Sitting there the whole night while I slept but too dark to see it until the day. My eyes were closed half the time with a slight headache and fever I still had. I missed it, and that shock on my expression was an understatement. I expected to see the walkway to Folsom Lake. A little sandy, a bit boring but absolutely stunning when it was in full bloom. Instead, it was a house that appeared like the letter A. If I'd walked across the dock it would connect to the deck. Then to the A shaped home. The whole house was made of wood with big picture windows on the side near us. Another set of chairs, four of them on the deck.

I gasp, "four chairs." Four... me, Noah, Little Man, and Space Girl? I was hoping for too much reading too much into everything. I had to slow down my thoughts. On that deck was a Telescope. It was a huge Telescope with the front lens covered up by a cap. Some of the pieces were covered in leather to keep it safe from bad weather. I could imagine that telescope looking up at the stars at night. The moon and stars reflecting like big pools of wonder mirroring the stars above. Even if you didn't look through the scope at night, it would be an extraordinary sight.