Sixty-Four

Audrey sets the pen down on top of Nathan's desk and massages her wrist while unfolding her ankles from in front of her for the thirtieth time. In front of her, spread across Nathan's desk are sheets of notebook paper, indicating damages throughout the packs from the Purge of Rogues, as the packs are now calling it. The name itself sends shivers down Audrey's back every time she hears it and there's an incurable ache deep in her heart when she thinks of what the event occurred of but she tries her best not to show it. Personally, Nathan, as well as the rest of the Moore pack, find amusement in the name. Moore children are chasing each other around, laughing and imitating the Purge much like human children do with Ring-Around-the-Rosie. Ignorant of the death that followed, they innocently break into teams and pretend to attack each other like wolves might until the last rogue dies and then switches side. When she first noticed this, she was horrified but Nathan reassured her that their game is a good thing. For one, it's a children's way to understand horrifying events by making up games or facts of their own. For another, it's a great way for their initial training not only as warriors but as wolves as well. Audrey can see his point but the reality of it is still unnerving.

Majority of the packs got away unscathed with minimal damages to their property. Unfortunately, majority of the packs also had warriors who passed during the Purge. This leaves the monarchy with over two hundred families to help provide for while they get their bearings plus any damage costs the packs suffered.

"The Vincelli pack has some property damage on the north side of their territory." Nathan tells her after hanging up his black telephone on the other side of the desk. He takes her pen and the sheet she was working on and quickly jots down the details. Audrey watches momentarily, comparing his handwriting to her own. It's more messy and slightly angled but legible and quite masculine in style. She loves the look of his handwriting next to her smaller, more twirly handwriting. "They only suffered two causalities and one death."

"What was damaged?"

"A couple of properties owned by some of his warriors. Rogues broke in and ransacked the place while they were here. One of them has been burned to the ground."

"Did anyone get hurt?" Audrey asks, leaning forward despite her knees running into the front of the desk which only has one gap for leg room and Nathan, with his huge mass, is currently hogging it.

"No. Fortunately, his family were at the pack house while it happened." He tells her, sliding the sheet and pen back towards her. "Vincelli is pissed."

"Vincelli..." Audrey mumbles, trying to recognize the name and face. He was one of the alphas at the meeting when they first came out as monarchies but he hid in the back, much like she expected of him. He's a formidable man, more terrifying than Nathan but a close ally to her mate nonetheless. Judging from him, it's safe to assume that the legend behind Vincent Vincelli is real and not at all exaggerated. His talent for killing is no nightmare: just reality. "We'll need to distribute some compensation soon for his warriors. Their families are probably used to their own privacy in their homes."

Nathan nods in agreement. "First, before we hand anything out, I want Simon to investigate these reports on their accuracy. I don't want to be handing finances to alphas blindly."

"I'll compile these together and have him start on it. He should be finished in a few days time if he isn't distracted." Audrey gathers the sheets of paper together, stacking them nice and neatly. Together, they look like the manuscript for the first draft of Moby Dick. "We need to get a computer system going. It'll make it much easier to send out this kind of information without it getting lost."

"Karmen's sister Cadance was working on it. Leon told me she had the idea just a few days ago." Nathan tells her as his phone begins to ring again. With a growl, he reaches out for it but not before looking at Audrey as she stands with the stack in hand. "We need to set up a secured phone system as well. Moore speaking."