Eighteen

Audrey sinks into the cushions, glancing across the room at Nathan who has mysteriously shut down. She's not sure if it's his alpha duties or if it's the way he almost murdered his grandmother, but he is the calmest she's ever seen. It's unnerving and yet, it wasn't necessarily bad. At least he isn't walking around with a permanent scowl on his face whenever she sees him.

"My Luna," Leon greets, falling on to a seat two spots away from her. Millis sits between them, watching the television set in front of them as it plays a horrible Syfy movie regarding radiation and a crocodile. She's been following Audrey around all morning, keeping her company while being nice. That, too, is unnerving her. She doesn't even want to address why they both call her Luna when Nathan isn't around.

"Leon," Audrey sits up, staring at him. "Is there something going on?"

Leon frowns but Audrey catches his hesitation as he stares at her. "No."

"Hmm." She replies, sinking back into the seat. Millis regards her with a skeptical expression and then glances back at Leon. Audrey recognizes that haze wolves get when they're discussing something telepathically. Their eyes go out of focus, not taking in their surroundings unless there's movement and their wolves alert them. It's the few moments their wolves have control of their human bodies without running on high emotions or uncontrollable urges. Audrey hasn't been able to connect with anyone telepathically in years. Only her brother, Ralph, is able to read her thoughts.

She misses Ralph. When she got back, the night the celebration was, he was the first person to reach her. His hair had grown since she saw him last. He desperately needed a hair cut but he was also taller and more muscular than she remembered. She distinctively remembers how good it felt to see him again. His wolf and hers were practically thrashing each other around in excitement. Then she had to separate from him and she hasn't seen or heard from him since.

Ralph.

She waits, blinking to see if anyone's noticed. Millis and Leon are still having their secret moment and Nathan is distracted by Frankie and another wolf towards the back doors. She hasn't seen Jenna around either.

Audrey.

She blinks and her lips crack into a small smile. Shrinking into the couch cushions, she wraps her arms around herself and glance to the side, allowing herself to  become absorbed in her long-distance telepathic conversation.

I miss you.

She waits a few more seconds before his reply comes back.

Is Moore treating you badly? Do I need to come over?

There's a panic in his voice and it brings back memories of when she was younger, just as they arrived at the Sullivan territory. Alpha John was the only one who managed to get anywhere close to them thanks to Ralph. But after what they went through, he can't be blamed. Ralph's protective instincts are the only reason they survived long enough to stumble onto the alpha's territory.

No, I'm fine. I just miss my brother.

Millis gets up, glancing at her. She blinks quickly, hoping she didn't notice the glaze. Millis smiles at her and offers to get her something to drink. Behind her, Leon stands up and heads towards Nathan who looks a little more heated with the other wolf, back to his angry expression.

Oh.

Millis heads towards the bar where Cadance, Karmen's little sister, leans against the counter, picking at her nails. Millis catches her attention and asks for something and Audrey turns back to Nathan, a frown covering her face.