Thirty-Six

Audrey paces around the room, her arms folded in front of her and a look of irritation on her face. Nathan watches with amusement as she goes around the room in a random pattern, constantly changing her step. Her expression stays the same though and her eyes keep flickering to the windows behind him. She's avoiding his stare, he realizes and he lets out a chuckle.

"Babe, come here." He holds his hand out to her. Stubbornly, she shakes her head and continues her pacing. He drops his hand, laughing after her.

"Is this really entertaining?" She scowls at him, her blue eyes narrowing sharply. He covers his mouth to hide his smirk just as a knock comes from the door.

"Come in." He calls, straightening himself out. Millis enters the room, glancing at Audrey with a small smile.

"The house has been properly surrounded and borders are set up. All of those not fighting are hidden away in a secure facility of Sullivan's somewhere. Ralph and Leon are synching pretty well and that's kind of terrifying." She admits with a shrug.

"Has anything been found? Any sight of them?" Audrey asks, stopping in front of her head guard.

"Relax, Iota. If there's any kind of movement, we'll be the first to know. You're in good hands." Millis tells her.

"It's not me I'm worried about." Audrey stalks away, resuming her pacing. Nathan can see her shaking and he sneaks into her mind. She's full of fear for everyone else, constantly comparing this time to the other times nobles have been after her.

Nathan glances at Millis. "Millis, where's your mate and the other alphas?"

"The other alphas joined Ralph and Leon. I don't know where my bastard is." She sighs, shaking her head. "He disappeared as soon as orders began to be given out."

"He's gone ahead then." Audrey explains and then noticing Millis's frown, explains in further detail. "He went ahead like a ninja to do some recon. Probably is going to try and take out a few units himself or cause some inner turmoil for them to destroy themselves."

"You have high confidence in him." Nathan points out, frowning at her. She shrugs, her eyes flickering back to the windows.

"I know what he does best." She replies and then turns to Millis. "If anything happens to him, you and I will be the first to know."

"Right, the blood bond..." She glares. "If he gets himself killed, I'm going to bring him back and slit his throat myself."

"Thank you, Millis." Nathan dismisses her and she returns to her post just outside the office. Audrey resumes her pacing and Nathan growls. "Audrey, get over here."

Audrey lets out a puff of frustration and sits on the desk in front of him. Nathan moves closer, her legs hanging off on the sides of the chair he's in and he rests his hands on her thighs. She still has a frown as she starts to twitch nervously. Nathan runs his hands over her legs, staring up at her with patience he didn't think he could possess.

"Audrey, baby, you need to calm down." He starts and she snaps at him quickly.

"I can't calm down Nathan! If this was anyone else, I wouldn't be as worried. But these are the people who, along with the Knox, hunted down my family and killed them. They've even almost killed Ralph and me and they killed all of Roman's kin! If they hurt anyone because of me-"

His Kappa force shuts her up quickly and he moves to stand, trapping her on the desk. "Audrey, the people who went after the Holt and your brother and you were killed by Sullivan long before you and I went to war. These are different people of the same name. And our defense is much bigger not to mention more skilled. Those out there on guard are doing it because they want to not because they have to. They want us to lead them, Audrey. And they're willing to keep us safe so we can. You should know that I don't like this situation either. It's killing me that I can't join them."