Twenty-Nine

Audrey stares at Roman, letting out a loud sigh. She just got finished with talking to him, explaining everything that has happened to her. Through some of it, he was pissed but most of it revealed either amusement or admiration from him. Now, after telling him the truth, she waits for him to say something.

Her leg is twitching with nerves and her teeth are digging into her bottom lip. Her heart is racing in her chest as she watches emotions run through Roman's eyes. His face stays passive, she's learned. Probably from all those years living with rogues as if he were a dog meant for fighting. But his eyes reveal everything to her. Behind the veil, his wolf stays quiet. She can see that he understands and is somewhat thankful but he's also a little upset with her and hasn't spoken a word since. She isn't sure what he plans on doing now.

"Are you sure?" Roman says, looking at her with genuinely concerned eyes. She stops twitching and nods her head.

"I'm sure."

"It's just that I don't like it." He growls out. "I hate it, in fact."

"I know."

"I don't blame you for it but I really, really hate this."

"I know, Roman."

"I hate him too." He continues, leaning forward on his knees. "Audrey, are you really sure about this? I know I haven't exactly been there for you and I'm sorry but-"

"You have nothing to apologize for. You couldn't help it and I don't blame anyone." She smiles. "I admit, I'm a little hesitant about this but deep down, I'm sure."

"And does he know?" Audrey shakes her head, biting her lip. Roman sighs and leans back against the couch, looking at her like he's in pain. He reaches over and pulls her lip from her teeth, giving her a scowl. "Don't do that. I beg you."

She frowns. "Why?"

"Because it's enticing."

Blushing, she sits up straighter and Roman smirks. "Enticing? Is it really?"

"Definitely. In fact, let me tell you this." Roman leans closer, placing his lips by her ear where he whispers a secret.

At that moment, Melissa's office door bursts open and a growl erupts around the room. Roman, alerted, instantly stands in front of Audrey and his protective instincts kicks in. A harsh snarl leaves his lips and his wolf is already at the ready, slowly breaking through. Audrey recognizes her mate's scent and places her hand on Roman's back. He calms but is breathing heavily.

"Damn it." He mutters, glancing back at her and then glaring at Nathan. "What?"

Nathan's eyes are dark. Audrey can see his wolf is pissed but all she can focus on is Nathan's bare chest. His abdomen is glistening with a thin layer of sweat and there are a few old scars crossing over his sides and chest that she vaguely remembers. The gym shorts he's wearing hangs low on his hips and her wolf is whispering dirty things to her, pushing her forward. She bites her tongue hard, hoping to snap herself out of it.

He steps closer to them in three long strides. Warmth runs over her body at his close proximity as his hand brushes down her arm, his fingers grasping her wrist and pulling her behind him. The entire time his eyes are on Roman and Roman watches with amusement.

"Did the wolves scare you so bad to come back?" Roman teases, folding his arms over his chest. Nathan growls and then smirks.

"More like the sheep ran into the wolves. It's already over."

Roman clicks his tongue in annoyance and his eyes lock with Audrey's. His words run through her mind and she blushes instantly. He chuckles.

"And Audrey's made her decision here too."